How has rainbow grilled cheese not become the definitive snack for pride month?

Originally published at: How has rainbow grilled cheese not become the definitive snack for pride month? | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Black history month-inspired adverts and sales are coming soon…

Tucker, “Black History Sales?! Isn’t it enough that “they” get Black Friday already; now they want a whole month?!!! When is White History Sales Month!?”

8 Likes

No, the definitive snack should be LGBTQ sandwiches: Lettuce, Guacamole, Bacon, Tomato and Queso.

22 Likes

Do you want a war with the Vegan Queers?Because this is how you get a war with the Vegan Queers.

16 Likes

I can see how this would be fun for pride, but as everyday food it looks horrible. I wonder whether it would be fun to make something like this with strips of different (naturally) coloured cheeses, though. From red Leicester all the way to blue cheese and sage derby…

(For the nitpickers: yes, I am aware that red Leicester and red cheddar are coloured with annatto, so could be considered analogous to the original post’s food colourings. But that’s an 18th century technique that is not the same as the synthetic technicolour that makes the above so unappetising)

10 Likes

Since they’re asking in the video: yes, I would try it for 9 dollars, but that is the absolute minimum amount someone would have to pay me to do it.

13 Likes

This is one area where Korea is actually way ahead of Japan. Bask in the glory of Seoul’s famous rainbow cake.

16 Likes

as much as i love grilled cheese, i’m team rainbow cake here. i mean, Pride is a celebration, and what food says that more than a cake?

14 Likes

Jelly?

17 Likes

But but… As far as I’ve ever been able to tell, it’s made out of a combination of plastic, paraffin and a trace of “cheese flavoring”. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: That makes vegan, right? :smirk:

7 Likes

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills

5 Likes

I am not a jelly person, but that is a very pretty jelly

3 Likes

Now do Rainbow Pizza, yummy yummy in the tummy.

4 Likes

Yuck, hard pass.

6 Likes

Lactose intollerant?

3 Likes

Not at all.

I’m just not a fan of adding food coloring needlessly.

And then to add insult to injury, it’s Kraft cheese-flavored product.

Again:

YUCK.

16 Likes

I was just thinking: how do I veganize that for my queer daughter? It’s do-able!

11 Likes

I won’t pretend to speak for marginalized people of a group to which I don’t belong, but I can absolutely give notes about my experiences of being queer.

I have mixed feelings about that. Yeah, absolutely, some corporations are just doing it as a sales promotion, pretending to be our friend long enough to get our queer cash, but even if that’s the case, in the long run? It’s beneficial to our community to have those symbols out there, even if the corporation in question also throws money at anti-LGBTQIA politicians. Many decades ago, when I was a teen just starting to try to understand my sexuality, the idea of walking into a random store and seeing gay pride anything was so unthinkable, you may as well have been proposing having literal unicorns on display. Now? That corporation may not actually support you, but having that pride display out where anyone can see it does tell questioning kids “you’re not alone.” (EX: I’ll note Target actually has had pride colors for identities I did not expect to see represented in a Big Box Pride collection.)

A decade or two later, things were starting to improve socially, but stores didn’t exactly have pride displays, at least not major corporations. You were far more likely to have security follow you around should you happen to be holding hands with your same gender partner, assuming you weren’t outright removed from the premises. It may be a cash grab, but I’m pretty clear on which of these experiences is better than that other.

For that to be valid, Kraft would have to produce something that could actually be called cheese in anything more than that loosest sense of the word. If someone really wants to poison themselves with that goop, I’ll shake my head and leave the room until they’re finished, but short of starvation, there’s no reason to ever eat Kraft anything.

Edit: s/were/weren't

7 Likes

Yeah, food is absolutely not supposed to be those colors (and isn’t).

4 Likes

I’m told one of the symptoms of lactose intolerance is the opposite of what might euphemistically be described as a “hard pass.”

6 Likes