How Hong Kong's vulnerable, reviled refugee community saved Edward Snowden

They aren’t heroes to the people hurt by Snowden’s handing over US secrets to Russia.

And nothing wikileaks releases is ever verified, people just blindly believe anything Assange posts.

I don’t think everything wikileaks is done is bad. I think much of this stuff was necessary. Assange’s work has been a mixed blessing and has caused real problems, but it’s not all bad.

Snowden just did a better job vetting and working with journalists to make sure that problems were mitigated.

6 Likes

They aren’t heroes to the people hurt by Snowden’s handing over US secrets to the citizens of the United States and the rest of the world.

FTFY but other than the folks in the u.s. intelligence community and the global business community who cooperated happily with them who were embarrassed by the truth i’m not sure who you mean.

8 Likes

When asked why he doesn’t leak anything about Trump, and whether he has anything on him, Assange claimed that he doesn’t have any dirt on Trump that would top the things that publicly come out of Trump’s mouth every day.

I don’t know whether it means “Clinton is lying to your face and I’m exposing that, Trump doesn’t” or “Trump is also lying, but I don’t have any information that would make sizable impact when released”.

And then Clinton went after Assange (publicly and privately), so now he can’t back off even if he wanted to.

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2016/09/09/assange_return_to_earth/

Assange lookalike NASA astronaut Jeff Williams.

If only if he’d pop over to blighty for a visit and has a sense of humour.

Can you imagine the cops faces if he walked into the Embassy carrying a Harods bag and dressed in a suit, turns around and waves to them as the door shuts?

The “oft-repeated smear” mentioned in the article was that Snowden is a russian spy. And that is still as ridiculous as it ever was, and it has nothing to do with any valid criticism of Wikileaks.

That Wikileaks is a radical organisation that can also cause damage is not news. And yes, they seem to have drifted closer to Russian interests lately. Also, they’ve got idiots in charge of their Twitter account. Which didn’t really surprise me as much as it has some others, as the idioticness of most of those tweets fits pretty well with a radical “everything should be free, there should never be any limits on communication and publication at all” ideology.

But even if Wikileaks were now publishing only the things fed to it by Russian spies, it might still cause a net increase of freedom and transparency. Maybe other spies need to counterbalance it by leaking the things that hurt Russian interests.

Your reason for including Snowden in this healthy skepticism being…?

And, another repetition of the oft-repeated smear, again without evidence. Snowden handed over US secrets to a few western journalists, who then handed some of them over to the public. He didn’t hand anything over to Russia. No one was hurt.

Sounds credible. Clinton definitely lies now and then, and is probably involved in several evil things that would be good to leak. Trump definietly lies too, but only in a way that is obvious to everyone except Trump supporters. I suspect him to be incapable of planning secret machinations worth leaking.

3 Likes

Okay. I get it… I’m fucking wrong.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t have put it that harshly :wink:

1 Like

Fine. Have a great day, okay?

1 Like

Indeed.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.