How "Hup!" became the standard sound effect for jumping in video games

Originally published at: How "Hup!" became the standard sound effect for jumping in video games | Boing Boing

5 Likes

https://nerdist.com/article/the-dark-crystal-age-of-resistances-hup-tribute/

3 Likes

The power of the “hup” should never be underestimated.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I need to go fire up the MAME console and play Shinobi now, I loved that game in the arcade…

Except for the in-between bonus levels, those were sometimes more frustrating than the regular levels!

2 Likes

The article gives credit to some 90’s video games, but I’m pretty certain it first found traction with the Blues Brothers. (I’ve hit my Wired limit this month, so I haven’t been able to read the whole article, just summaries.)

12 Likes
1 Like

It’s older, though. I knew it as carnie/vaudeville slang, but it’s probably older than that … from a nifty website: Alley-Oop — An Acrobatic or gymnastic act. The performers (often European) were often heard to cue their team members (in French) “allez” (“everybody”) and then either “up” in English, or a simple vocalization like “hup” to coordinate timing.
I’d suggest a visit to the website itself if for nothing else than the nostalgic geocities vibe.

4 Likes

There are some articles that work best as prose, and there some articles that would work better as youtube videos…

1 Like

Agreed, if you’re going to write something about sound effects it really helps the reader/viewer to be able to hear those effects. I think the written version of the article would still work if they would just embed samples of the sounds in question.

2 Likes

Dark Castle had a very similar if slightly lower pitched “hup” sound for jumping in 1986.

That game had excellent sound design throughout.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.