This rad Dark Souls remix will save you from the forces of the abyss

[Permalink]

1 Like

What the heck is this? Iā€™m all for more Dark Souls content, but maybe have someone who actually played the game and/or at least likes the series be the author of the article? The flippancy of the ā€˜authorā€™ does nothing for the content, and just makes it seem disingenuous. And now apparently gamerā€™s are people who donā€™t like good music? If youā€™re going to write about games, please at least be a gamer.

The Sword and Sworcery remixes are great, even if they simple variations on an already great game soundtrack.

1 Like

What the heck is this? Iā€™m all for more commenter content, but maybe have someone who actually has something positive to say and/or at least likes the topic area? The flippancy of this ā€˜commentā€™ does nothing for the content, and just makes it known that the commenter is disappointed. And now apparently the commenter would rather talk about the authorā€™s street cred than talk about good music? If youā€™re going to decide to start commenting on articles, please at least try to apply some good faith.

What are your favorite tracks that sample game music, or that borrow the structures of game music, or are remixes thereof?

Temple Tripping by LaRux, on the always awesome OCR.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have anything with Miles Davis covering video game music, so turning my gamer pals onto the good stuff is challengingā€¦

I have mostly listened to remixes and such, but if I want to reach into my bucket of lesser known people that I think are worth pointing out, the Dread Crew of Oddwood do a great remix of classic Ocarina of Time (and lets face it, most zelda games) songs.

1 Like

But now - that my memory is prompted - in the '80ā€™s I was in a band that included a Funk cover of the music from ā€œMoon Patrolā€.

So thereā€™s been this huge influx of really cool music sampling games recently, especially when it comes to things that are *wave/pop/electronic/rap or adjacent to those genres. I constantly find myself doing mashups or cutting up Kirby 64 music not only because itā€™s great music, but also because that stuff has personal significance. Weā€™ll probably continue to get more of that as young musicians who grew up with games start to get their music out there. If I absolutely had to pick my favorite example of game audio being used in music, Iā€™d probably pick Sweet Valleyā€™s ā€œEternal Champā€ just for all of the cool ways it samples Ocarina of Time.

1 Like

I donā€™t care for the music posted here, and the article was, shall we say, hard to find a point in. But hey! Itā€™s a chance to talk about game/chip music, soā€¦my current favorites are Disasterpeace (though everyone now knows about him because of It Follows), particularly his Atebite and the Warring Nations; and relative unknown Kristin Miltner, who AFAIK only has one album, Music for Dreaming and Playing.

Sir Michael Rocksā€™ [Banco][1] is basically one big remix, from DOOM samples to skits that use Mario64 water and pokemon battle music. Itā€™s mired in rap cred stuff but the samples are still fun as hell.

ā€œOne way to trick your ā€˜gamerā€™ friends into listening to better music is toā€¦ā€

I have to get a new hobby.

One of my favorite chip artists is Hige Driver.

I think my favorite vgm remix heā€™s done is of ā€œPrimal Eyesā€ from Parasite Eve, but it was part of Squareā€™s official SQ Chips albums (I think itā€™s on volume 2?) so itā€™s hard to find free streaming versions of it online. If you can find it, though, I totally recommend it!

Hereā€™s a remix he did of a track from a game called Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (For Frog the Bell Tolls): https://soundcloud.com/higedriver/kaeru-no-tame-ni-kane-wa-naru

Also this remix of a track from Xevious: https://soundcloud.com/higedriver/xevious-hige-remix

Or just browse his soundcloud and listen to his original tracks or remixes from pop and rock songs.

Oh, and on the topical of Squareā€™s officially released remix albums, Beer SQ is pretty fascinating (classic Square tracks covered in various folk beer hall styles).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.