A few great video game soundtracks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/03/a-few-great-video-game-soundtr.html

5 Likes

such an awesome game.

5 Likes

Lemmings or gtfo :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Wipeout XL has some of the best fucking Electronica from one of the best years for it.

This Soundtrack either introduced me to or reinforced my love for several groups.

Fluke, Prodigy, Underworld, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers are all my faves, but I like the whole CD over all.

AND it was designed by Designer Republic.

I think this is the full play list. ETA - this is the GAME Soundtrack, on the game disc.

(first song isnt my fave, that would be Fluke’s Atom Bomb.)

ETA
This is the Soundtrack from the CD they put out.

7 Likes

“crack crack crack the egg into the bowl” still to this day gets quoted by my wife or myself when we are working in the kitchen

4 Likes

I love to pat my babies’ bellies and sing “Belly belly belly is all you need”

I have the soundtracks on CD for

the Neverhood

And Twinsen’s Odyssey

I also always enjoyed the chiptunes for SkyRoads, but maybe I just fucking loved that game (and never had a console, so all my best memories are PC abandonware…)

There was a freeware game I used to play that was a kind of proto candycrush saga (in that it wa a puzzle game but with “worlds” and a progress map) but was a polygon puzzle game where a conveyor belt would drop off polygons for you to try to fill a shape. It had blitzed out psychadelic/buddhist backdrops and a great ambient/chip soundtrack. Alas, I wonder if even reddit could help me track that one down…

3 Likes

In addition to several from the above list, my favorite game soundtracks include:

Beyond Good & Evil
Tetrisphere
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Espantoso station)

3 Likes

Whole-heartedly agree.

I would also like to add the Journey soundtrack, and Sword and Sworcery.

3 Likes

Oh! Baba Yetu!

4 Likes

It seems like a shame to leave out Jet Grind Radio. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mizSUxxuCiY&list=PLD61626F6813F6C5F

3 Likes

Many games have pretty great soundtracks, its a fairly underappreciated medium. Granted i don’t have a need to have game soundtracks playing i do know a few friends of mine that had playlists of them specifically to have on as background music while doing creative work.

It was a great early game in the music genre. I recently learned that the person responsible for the PaRappa aesthetic was also responsible for the Paper Mario series.

It’s a real shame that Dred Foxx (the voice of PaRappa in the English-language release) is such a bag of dicks.

2 Likes

The first game I remember recognizing what a great soundtrack it had was the NES DuckTales game. Its “Moon Theme” became a fan favorite and has not only gotten an excellent remake, but was used as Della Duck’s favorite lullaby in the new DuckTales show.

2 Likes

Homeworld has great etherial and tribal sounds and the very best version of Adagio for Strings I have ever heard (and I have heard many).

3 Likes

The FEZ soundtrack by Disasterpeace is an amazing piece of work. The game is beautiful and the music that goes with it–and is even modified as you play some levels is remarkable.

Just this opening track should get you hooked:

2 Likes

Final Fantasy Tactics has probably the best music i’ve ever heard from a game. Just check out these 2 tracks:

2 Likes

Space Harrier is good music when you’re going to run on a treadmill forever and ever.

Aye, but it already had lyrics.

1 Like

Cuphead, Superhexagon.

Also maybe Jet Grind Radio.

5 Likes

I’m a big fan of the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance soundtrack with its totally subtlety-free lyrics.

1 Like

Sonic CD did it for my brother and I, and really served to get me into electronic music in a big way.

One cool thing about game CDs for the Sega CD was that you could stick them in a regular CD player, and listen to all the audio tracks like a normal music CD. Soooooo cool, whoever thought of this I have to thank. Made it a lot easier to enjoy Sonic CD’s soundtrack as a music album.

Some tracks are better than others, but here’s the whole thing (for the US release, which is what I’m referring to):

4 Likes