A few great video game soundtracks

All other commenters are wrong. There is not, nor will there ever be, a greater videogame soundtrack than Katamari Damacy. Fight me.

8 Likes

5 Likes

My favorite track is definitely the Wacky Workbench Past theme. If I ever somehow acquire the tools and knowledge to remix music, that shall be my target. (The Past themes weren’t redbook audio except in the PC port, though.)

And as long as I’m posting here again, I might as well plug Earthbound and 8-Bit Big Band. (These guys deserve orders of magnitude more views.)

2 Likes

Shadow of the Beast, such a good score! Good call!

1 Like

And there’s the dubstep remixes.

1 Like

Great little game, just a shame the developer was a complete asshole.

The various scores from jessica curry (dear esther, everybody’s gone to the rapture, amnesia: a machine for pigs) have been great.

I love how they refreshed the classic sonic soundtrack for mania and mixed some of the tunes from various games in the series.

Couple of other obvious choices…

4 Likes

Not to forget that they got Yes to wright a song for the game, which played over the end credits in the original version (the recently released remaster doesn’t include it for reasons of licensing difficulty)

2 Likes

Even Devo made a video game and released an album of it.

And as far as VGM / chiptunes goes I’ve got to go with Sega’s ToeJam & Earl.

2 Likes

My sister was one of the vocalists on the Sonic CD soundtrack. (True story.)

3 Likes

This is the correct answer.

2 Likes

I mean, I dig the KD soundtrack, but the thread title’s “some great video game soundtracks”, not “the best video game soundtrack”.

2 Likes

Is that the same as Jet Set Radio Future or is it a prequel?

5 Likes

Jet Set Radio (Jet Grind Radio in North America) is the first game in the series.

4 Likes

That is super-cool! :smiley:

1 Like

The funky Jelly Defense soundtrack, with its delightfully smoov non-language vocals, is just joyfully silly. Totally addicting.

1 Like

Another good game if you like a funky soundtrack full of juicy conlang nonsense is Beyond Good and Evil

3 Likes

For me, it begins and ends here:

Every track had a great score.

Edit: Sega Gensis scores in general were magic to me, like the great NES soundtracks but ~deeper~. While Road Rash was king, I loved the music from the original Sonic, Golden Axe II, Ecco the Dolphin, and Chakan: The Forever Man.

4 Likes

Yep. Great call, that had an amazing soundtrack as well.

So did the US release of Crazy Taxi. Made me a Bad Religion fan.

And Re: Game Soundtracks, there is a whole series of game soundtracks that have limited vinyl releases now.

2 Likes

Game soundtracks make up a large portion of my, admittedly meager, vinyl collection. Speaking of which the Panzer Dragoon Saga 20th Anniversary arrangement is fantastic:

3 Likes

I’m here for Katamari too. :+1:

1 Like