How imaginary friends went from a parental worry to a badge of honour

I find this kind of thing really interesting. Terry Pratchett used to explore this concept a fair bit in the witches arc of the discworld novels.

And another book recommendation that popped into my head:
http://brandonsanderson.com/books/legion/legion/

Really takes the concept and flies off with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a rich imaginary life growing up, and I enjoyed it immensely. It was really a survival mechanism, but Iā€™m not going to get into that. I do think it really helped me externalize things, instead of pretending that I was in complete control of everything. When I grew out of it and became a teenager, I internalized everything and it made me fairly miserable.

I had a friend a while back who started talking to his shadow which he gave a personality and a name. When his parents caught him they freaked out. He basically stopped to avoid an exorcism. Apparently thatā€™s what happens when you grow up in Rome, GA and your parents are super-conservative Christians.

8 Likes

River is another one about a detective with imaginary friends. Heā€™s not violent like Luther, just generally an asshole.

2 Likes

River would be a poor example of a person with imaginary friends who has adjusted well.

3 Likes

That last scene outside the restaurant - I was laughing, and then I remembered what was actually happening and I was like ā€œwhoa this is messed upā€

You had (have?) a friend from Rome? My hometown, man. Itā€™s pretty conservative and there are some super-conservative churches around there. Iā€™m not surprised that happened to him.

1 Like

When in Rome, burn it?

No, much of my family is still there and it seems better than it was when I left. At least, there are things to do now when there wasnā€™t much when I was a teen.

Plus, Iā€™m fresh out of fiddles.

2 Likes

I actually havenā€™t watched all of it yet, but I did get to a speech about how people who are different arenā€™t wanted in society. I was like, ā€œYeah, thatā€™s about right.ā€

1 Like

okay, this is an understandable reason. youā€™re excused.

4 Likes

My parents got really caught up in the Satanic Panic- if they didnā€™t understand it, it was of the devilā€¦ and they didnā€™t understand quite a bit. After that was the whole pre-Y2K Tribulation Terror, but that was a whole other can of worms.

2 Likes

My imaginary friend told me to wait by the corner while he finished doing something. Turned out he was fucking with me and started hanging out with the cool kidsā€™ imaginary friends.

Oh, wait, that was my real friend.

Asshole.

3 Likes

Lyre.

[post must be at least 6 charactersā€¦should I have written ā€œor lute?ā€]

2 Likes

Ah, yes. anachronismā€¦ Unless he was a time traveler? But I donā€™t have one of those either.

1 Like

Oh yeah, we met at GSU. I still consider him a friend, weā€™ve just lost touch. I remember we bonded over the shared experience of our parents waking us up at the crack of dawn to read our respective religious texts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.