How to avoid loneliness by creating an imaginary friend

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/20/how-to-avoid-loneliness-by-creating-an-imaginary-friend.html

9 Likes

Duh, says every 5 year old ever.

But seriously, maybe we should create structures in society that don’t marginalize people in the first place, but is inclusive? Coping strategies are great, but aren’t a replacement for a society that ensures all of us have the support we need.

14 Likes

If I didn’t have a dog, I’m pretty sure I’d have rebuilt a home for Frasboe in the tiny crack between the stove and the counter. As an adult with a engineering background, maybe I’d have figured out how a 4-foot-tall cardinal (the bird, not the human religious figure) was able to fit in there.

Reflecting upon what I just wrote, I’m pretty sure the dog has been better for my sanity this past year…

7 Likes

I’d definitely be concerned if I had a 4ft tall catholic Cardinal living in the crack next to my stove.

If I had one of the St Louis Cardinals living in the crack though, I’d go out and play ball more often I would hope…

7 Likes

Just don’t create more than one or else they’ll conspire against you for sure.

(furthermore, i feel as much like i did yesterday as I do today)

4 Likes

ezgif-6-e7364587c820

7 Likes

Tulpa is actually my girlfriend’s name.

She lives in Canada, though. You wouldn’t know her.

17 Likes

For me, it’s you.

and I’m grateful

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve got a cat. More of a non-imaginary frenemy some days…
:pouting_cat:

10 Likes
6 Likes

I’ve become my own imaginary friend, in a way, in my journaling practice. I find it has been immensely helpful for my mental health.

4 Likes

I can imagine her, though.

3 Likes

“I was the kid next door’s imaginary friend.”

(Emo Philips)

1 Like

4 Likes

I have a cat and we provide each other with company. He’s an indoor cat and chooses to spend most of his time in the same room as me, wherever I am in the house.

3 Likes

How to avoid loneliness by creating an imaginary friend

Or you could pay someone to provide company:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.