How long you have to eat freshly-made McDonalds fries before they become inedible

Is that for the fries or for me after consuming said fries?

Oh yeah! I’m guessing a flavorful oil like that you add afterwards… or maybe if you’re cooking in the oven. Deep frying will just burn most flavored oils is what I mean.

2 Likes

Welcome, new comrade; you seem just a tad bit irate.

I’m curious; was working for Mickey’s D so very rewarding during your tenure there, that you feel the need to vehemently defend a company that you no longer for ?

9 Likes

And the author’s tip for keeping the bag/box closed is totally nuts. Fries need to be dry, and keeping the container covered just increases condensation and dampens the fries.
Cold or damp - you simply cannot win.

2 Likes

Of the two, damp seems worse than cold to me. That might explain my aversion to sauces of any kind on my fries. They make the food go from nice and crispy to “the m-word that shall not be used” and soggy.

4 Likes

How about the official McD’s list of ingredients?

US fries

|Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor** [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*, Citric Acid [Preservative]), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt.

Prepared in Vegetable Oil: Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness. Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

Vs what they add to them in the UK:

Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose (only added at beginning of the potato season).

If you count salt which is added after they’re fried that’s 4 ingredients. No “natural beef flavor” is in there, so maybe you’re from the UK? Either that or you don’t know what goes in the fries.

6 Likes

This. Almost all the other fast food chains have switched to putting some kind of coating on the potato slices, essentially ruining them. Last I checked, Mcdonald’s had not followed suit.

However, McDonald’s fries are still full of a boat load of added ingredients, peeled, sliced, and pre-frozen at a factory thousands of miles from the store where you buy them. Which means they cannot hold a candle to New York Fries, a Canadian chain that slices fresh potatoes in store and fries them on demand in pure sunflower oil. You get scalding hot, perfectly fresh fries with the skin on, that contain no added ingredients of any kind, just potatoes, oil, and whatever toppings you choose to add.

2 Likes

I like Five Guys’ fries, even their regular salted ones i really enjoy.

1 Like

Now they don’t no… because they got sued over it…

6 Likes

You joined just to post that long ass run on sentence? That’s some serious troll commitment.

Shit-show-GIF-Kelsey-Especially

7 Likes

Am I the only one who saw the title as a double entendre?

1. How much time you have before they are no longer appealing.
  2. How long you could shovel them down before you can no longer force yourself.

My brain actually went for meaning 2 and then I clicked through out of curiosity.

5 Likes

Came here for this post; was not disappointed.:heart:

1 Like

UK style chips with a good curry sauce!

Fish & chips with malt vinegar is great but i havent tried with a curry sauce i must confess. But i do love curry so i’m sure i’d like it.

1 Like

Disclaimer: I worked at a McOpCo-owned MickyDs back in the mid-90’s. (McOpCo is/was the holding company for the corporate owned stores)

The book (at the time) said that fries have a maximum hold time post cooking of seven minutes. McD’s fries are supposed to be eaten as soon as they are served, in theory. In reality, I can totally accept the 18 minute ‘lifespan’ of an edible fry as correct.

And yes, there are places that make a much better fry; Remember, McDonald’s primary gimmick is consistency, regardless of what store you walk into. (I.E., I can walk into a McD’s in San Fran and get the same lousy cheese burger as a McD’s in Chicago, or Tampa Bay, or New York City, etc…)

2 Likes

This study doesn’t take into account how so many fries mysteriously disappear on the ride home. Evaporating into the ether? Nobody knows… :wink:

6 Likes

Dammit. I’m now getting a small fry thanks to this thread.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Excellent! our work here is done! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’d feel bad but i already had my fry treat over the weekend. Had some animal style fries from In-n-Out on Saturday with a friend from out of town.

2 Likes