How Lucky Ducky Gets His Loopholes!

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/26/how-lucky-ducky-gets-his-looph.html

Tom the Dancing Bug, IN WHICH poor Lucky Ducky gets all the tax breaks!

5 Likes

I hate duck-voices. Or rather, I hate daffy duckā€™s voice because itā€™s semi-barely-intelligible. It takes too much work to understand anything he says if itā€™s decipherable at all.

And for some reason, I have a hard time not reading stuff in that voice when I see a duck saying it.

Could I have some suggestions of more suitable voices to read him as?

3 Likes

Worst Dancing Bug comic ever. Total hit job. So SAD!

19 Likes

Such a nasty cartoonist.

20 Likes

Darkwing Duck?

10 Likes

Do ya mean Donald? Daffy is a lot better at enunciation.

Either of these?

:smiling_imp:

11 Likes

I did mean Donald.

And Iā€™d pick Sylvester or Tweety over not understanding a word.

4 Likes

Depressingly enough, I rarely mentally ā€˜voiceā€™ what Iā€™m reading; this genuinely saddens me. However, now that Iā€™m thinking about it, thereā€™s some fun choices out there!

Charlie from Itā€™s Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Charlie Day)
Rickety Cricket from Itā€™s Always Sunny In Philadelphia (David Hornsby)
Steve Buscemi
Andy from Parks & Rec (Chris Pratt)

6 Likes

I get the joke, but the cartoon reinforces the myth that the poor pay no taxes. The poor pay payroll tax, state tax (some states), and also the highly regressive sales tax. Right there, you have a higher marginal tax rate than Romney pays, and almost certainly higher than Trump.

26 Likes

Iā€™m surprised Hollingsworth Hound didnā€™t add that this is how the government prevents Lucky Ducky from ever rising out of poverty.

6 Likes

I saw it as showing how the poor use an endless parade of sinister machinations to avoid taxation, whereas the rich pay non because thatā€™s just the natural order of things

1 Like

Being poor sounds like a wonderful loophole, and Iā€™m almost there already!

Thanks for the tip, Rudy!

4 Likes

I saw it the same way, but also agree with @Boundegar that it perpetuates a misnomer regarding poor and their taxes.

I find it awful I find myself explaining to people in daily life that one of the primary issues with our tax codes and the loopholes is that if folks like Romney who ā€œearnā€ $10,000,000 a year pay 30% he still has $7,000,000 in hand. The poor schlub earning $30,000 pays 30% has only $21,000. That hit is MONSTROUSLY debilitating.

17 Likes

Duckminster fuller.

5 Likes

Which raise an interesting question; How the hell did that darn duck afford all of this?

You have to be a billion/trillionare to afford accountants, lawyers, and lobbyists to ensure that the loopholes remains open for you to even exploit them. Sure he knew the steps, but he lacked the wealth to execute them.

2 Likes

Loving the ā€œhaw hawā€ in the third row, second panel. Nice subtle reference there.

1 Like

But, but, butā€¦that disincentivizes Romney from working as hard as he does! (Those private islands donā€™t vacate themselves, you know!) Whereas a poor schlub paying 30% will just work harder to better himself/herself if he/she needs to pay her fair share!

(I didnā€™t even say that out loud and I still gagged. Blech!)

10 Likes

Huh, hadnā€™t heard that term ā€œloosieā€ before. How educational.

1 Like

The comic explains it all - the dynamics are totally the same! Rich people use their billions of dollars to pay for all that, and poor people get the same service from the same people but only have to pay with Del Taco coupons and loose cigarettes!

5 Likes

Noise of duck flying overhead (sorry could not resist).

4 Likes