Lucky Ducky and the COVID Crisis: Gotcha!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/22/lucky-ducky-and-the-covid-cris.html

Tom the Dancing Bug, IN WHICH Hollingsworth hounds that Lucky Ducky back out to work, but you just know he’ll still find a way to win

11 Likes

Another case of “Funny, despite being true.”

21 Likes

Thanks, Ruben. A new Lucky Ducky always puts a smile on my face.

A periodic reminder that the term originated with real-life Hollingsworth Hounds (or at least their sociopath lackeys) on the WSJ’s bughouse op-ed page.

34 Likes

Wow, thanks for that historical context. Does Amazon count as a lucky ducky per this definition?

Or Chevron, Delta Airlines, Eli Lilly, General Motors, Gannett, Goodyear Tire and Rubber, Halliburton, IBM, Jetblue Airways, Principal Financial, Salesforce, US Steel, or Whirlpool?

15 Likes

For many conservatives, the term has become part of a political theory that the USA is developing an increasingly large ‘moocher’ class who depend on government benefits paid for by taxes from richer or harder-working citizens, pay no taxes themselves and vote themselves higher benefits paid for from the taxes of others.

I like how most of us follow the ironic sense of Lucky Duckies, but it blows over the heads of “many conservatives”. Is there some prerequisite to understand irony, perhaps not constantly denying reality?

4 Likes

now the lazy rabble want to sleep indoors?

4 Likes

I forgot that was the character’s name, and assumed he’d stolen a bathrobe from Hilton Hotels.

1 Like

To get humor (and irony), you must be able to put yourself in someone else’s shoes and see things from a different perspective.

Conservatives cannot do that. They think everyone is as greedy, selfish, and petty as themselves.
This also explains why conservatives make crappy comedians. Their humor involves being mean to someone and putting others down to push themselves up.

10 Likes

I agree that the only form of conservative or right-wing humor is to insult down. Do that creatively and you might get an “oooh!” from the audience, rather than a real laugh, but you’d get a reaction. I guess nothing stops someone who is conservative or right wing from doing good apolitical humor, clever one-liners, that sort of thing.
Another thing, self-deprecation seems absent from a right-wing humor toolbox. Is it because of a continual sense of threat? I don’t know. But we have yet to see a red-state version of Portlandia. I would watch if there were such a thing.

Ducky is indeed lucky - he wound up in the ICU and on a ventilator, despite his pre-existing condition.
Of being poor.

9 Likes

So not taxing poor people so much that they have trouble surviving is a bad thing? It would be better to starve them so that they get angry about taxes? We shouldn’t assume that they actually get angry about being paid less than they can survive on? The logic there is scary. Whoever came up with that has no idea how the real world works.

That took a dark turn, even for a Lucky Ducky strip.

2 Likes

Not really, I remember a strip where Lucky Ducky won by getting a free pauper’s grave.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.