How Maria Konnikova used her psychology background to be a champion poker player

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/23/how-maria-konnikova-used-her-p.html

2 Likes

I just heard an interview with her that was fascinating. She said as a woman, she never bothered to bluff, just play her strong hands and keep calling, because none of the men at the table would fold to a “girl.”
[She said it far more eloquently, I’m paraphrasing.]
Her discussion of the application of psychology to the game is fascinating.

3 Likes

Hard not to like a rationalist. Her segment “Is that Bullshit” on Mike Pesca’s the Gist podcast is great.

1 Like

I haven’t read this book, but the press I’ve seen about it makes it sound an awful lot like “Thinking in Bets” by Annie Duke, which I have read. Can anybody here comment on how they compare?

Just finished this audiobook yesterday - personally I wasn’t a big fan and found the the overall description of the competitive poker milieu ranging from boring to kind of toxic (lots of sexism encountered toward the author - shocking, right?). Also didn’t expand my understanding of psychology beyond competitive gambling.
In terms of recent nonfiction, there was a similar book that just came out that explored the high dollar nightlife circuit of promoters/models written by a former model / sociologist that I would recommend instead: “Very Important People: Status & Beauty in the Global Party Circuit” by Ashley Mears.
Best non-fiction read in the past 3 months was “Entangled Life” by Merlin Sheldrake - don’t believe I’ve seen that mentioned on this site but I could be wrong.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.