How much caffeine and alcohol should we (or shouldn't we) be drinking?

There is only one correct answer to this: AS MUCH AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN!

5 Likes

Yahtzee!

1 Like

Could be a duodenal ulcer, in which case alcohol could kill you.

Caffeine powder can be purchased as an unregulated natural herbal product. Through the use of human volunteers (frat boys) we know the lethal dose is 1 to 2 teaspoons. Many of us are consuming 5% of the lethal dose every day, yet the foodies who panic over RoundUp don’t want coffee banned.

2 Likes

Alcohol does wonders for the neuropathic pain associated with my Charcot-Marie-Tooth syndrome. Wish I didn’t have to, since I have a family full of alcoholics, but I will take that risk over the function restrictions caused by the pain. Hurray for alcohol!

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the problem with caffeine and alcohol stems from the fact that when the individual coffee and beer molecules combine with the toxins in your stomach, they each form a complete, genetically- modified gluten. That, combined with a rose-water-fume-intolerance can directly lead to artism.

1 Like

I use whiskey as a muscle relaxant for my back. Seriously. I’ve no idea what I’m doing with pain pills and avoid them, but whiskey I got down pretty pat. One shot takes the edge off my back pain, and if I know I did something that will cause pain I can act preemptively. Mind you I have only occasional pain, not chronic.

4 Likes

Ouch! I avoid these things, and more-or-less avoid fructose, but if I remember correctly, the pain tends to be in the lower intestines. I have had trouble since at least April 2001, and I think it got worse after being gassed in January 2005.

:wink:

I recently saw an experiment between twins, two doctors who explored the differences between metering out your daily allowance and binge drinking the whole weeks worth and found that you are better to get it over and done with. Both practices are damaging but binge drinking then recovering less so. They made the point that any alcohol was damaging but that tea-totalers tended not to benefit from the relaxing, stress reducing effects of drinking, especially with friends, allowing yourself to blow off steam.

So, drinking is just bad for you, but the ancillary benefits may outweigh the direct negatives. Maybe yoga would be a better idea.

Anyway, bottoms up.

2 Likes

Did you know, in some parts of the USA, carbonated beverages are called soda? Elsewhere, they’re called pop, and in the South they’re called coke, regardless of flavor.

6 Likes

Came here to post this, nice to see it’s already been taken care of.

4 Likes

Interestingly, no matter how much coffee I got into the habit of consuming, I never got withdrawal headaches.

My tolerance is low of late, but I like my coffee strong so I’ve been tinkering with chicory additives to get the proper consistency without the jitters.

@Boundegar @caryroys

“Fifty Million Screaming Christians Can’t Be Wrong”

edit:

There usage may not be to wrong but I still feel their not going too change because of some internet commenter.

Correction, it is easy to pull off such a hoax if you aim to publish in an obscure journal with literally no peer review. Whenever you read of a study, ask yourself where it was published. It’s not terribly different from learning that a “news” article appeared in the Daily Mail and treating it with the appropriate amount of skepticism. BTW, I read up more on this John Bohannon character. Basically, he writes journalism pieces for various (mostly for-profit) venues and has a thing against open access journals. So he’s published fake articles (the chocolate thing wasn’t his first) in various obscure journals which advertise to be “open access” and tries to spin it so the problem is open access, and not that the journals he picked were bad.

4 Likes

In Australia we call them soft drinks.

Yes!

Here’s a song I like about coffee, it’s called “Coffee”

https://soundcloud.com/waterfallperson/waterfall-person-coffee-waterfall-cover

that’s the thing most U.S. restaurants call them, but most people use coke/soda/pop in casual conversation.

2 Likes

I like soda pop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBnorPGsRH4

I drink quite a lot of coffee and quite a lot of alcohol.

I don’t have a point, it just seemed like we were all sharing.

7 Likes

So, whose round is it?

3 Likes