How much is your ISP ripping you off? New Netflix speed test tool Fast.com can answer that

They probably do, but I can watch Netflix, Amazon and Hulu without a problem, but there is only ever one streaming device at a time here.

Frankly, it’s been less than a year since our speed max’d out at 5, so I feel pretty good about it.

Yay me :rage: I think the hamster died in my DSL modem.

Now here’s what’s really interesting…

Oh CenturyLink…

7 Likes

Any chance ISPs haven’t paid these people off to give your connection a good rating?

Hmm. It used to be that 8 Mbps was considered the minimum for 1080p, Now, 3 Mb/s is considered good enough.

At 50 Mb/s, I’m not bandwidth limited for that sort of thing. Instead, copy protection hassles and buggy ads conspire agaisnt me.

1 Like

I assume ISPs are smart enough to recognize Netflix traffic vs. Netflix Speedtest traffic, and provide throughput accordingly.

2 Likes

Not surprising. Video compression algorithms are constantly improving, and things like adaptive streaming are making it easier to hide when bandwidth drops.

Ok, but how exactly is a test with Fast.com different from another test app? Are the Fast packets specifically being routed through Netflix servers or something? That’s not really clear from anything I have read so far.

Oh, d_r wrote something about that…

120 on fast
118 on speedtest

I also have CL, and the same roughly 3/1 discrepancy between speedtest and fast.

When I run tracert on fast.com I end up in Akamai ip-space(after 8 quick hops). When I do the same on netflix.com the tracert dies after 30 agonizing slow hops (lots of timeouts) in Amazon-controlled ip-space. Hmmm.

I have 7.2 as well, with a service that’s ostensibly in the 6-12 range. I know that if I dropped it to the next lower tier, I’d be getting whatever the lower number of that service was, too.

47 on Fast, 94 on Speedtest.

that’s crazy talk!

jealous!

angry! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

yup, it’s a game they play.
Wish they at least worked as hard at making me happy as they do screwing me over.

I would love to buy more bandwidth, but nothing I do has lag- netflix, streaming music, random surfing, etc. The only problem I have is uploading multiple large pictures for clients, I just let it run for an hour or two and it hasn’t ever been a problem… so far.

1 Like

I hate all of you. I am not home right now so I can’t test but I know my comcast speed is horrible. I would upgrade, but why upgrade if they can’t give me what I pay for already?

Also Google fiber is going in across the street, but I don’t think my apt complex will get it.

There’s a serious lack of competition (that I know of, anyways) where I am, so apparently I’ll take what I can get and like it…

1 Like

2.3 Mbps (not a typo, Two Point Three) with Verizon DSL, for which I pay $53/month. Because they offer no fiber to my town and will only “agree to give me a better speed” if I agree to pay $30/month extra for a landline I won’t use.

I fucking hate Verizon.

And the sick thing is, this is still less of a pain in the ass than dealing with Comcast.

4 Likes

FIOS is great. You should try it move.

Comcast (and I suspect all the other ISPs) don’t promise anything–not even that you can access the Internet. Here is a quote from their customer agreement,

1. LIMITED WARRANTY

THE XFINITY EQUIPMENT AND THE SERVICE(S) ARE PROVIDED “AS IS,” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. NEITHER COMCAST NOR ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, CONTRACTORS, DISTRIBUTORS, LICENSORS OR BUSINESS PARTNERS WARRANT THAT THE XFINITY
EQUIPMENT OR THE SERVICE(S) WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, PROVIDE UNINTERRUPTED USE, OR OPERATE AS REQUIRED, WITHOUT DELAY, OR WITHOUT ERROR. NEITHER COMCAST NOR ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS,
CONTRACTORS, DISTRIBUTORS, LICENSORS OR BUSINESS PARTNERS WARRANT THAT ANY COMMUNICATIONS WILL BE TRANSMITTED IN UNCORRUPTED FORM. ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY WARRANTIES OF PERFORMANCE,
NONINFRINGEMENT, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR MERCHANTABILITY,
ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED AND EXCLUDED UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED OR
RESTRICTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.

2 Likes