How much is your ISP ripping you off? New Netflix speed test tool Fast.com can answer that

Any company’s Net speed claims only relate to your connection to the company’s “Head-end”.
After you leave that and enter the internet all bets are off as to speed.

And running 1 speed test proves… not much of anything. You should change the test’s destination (Ookla’s SpeedTest ) to area’s far from you ie: Live in NY? run your tests to Cali not NY To NY.
And time of the day will have a lot of affect of your speed also so test at least 4 time’s: Morning/afternoon/evening/late night and the average of those tests will be your real # .

My Speed using speedtest.com and default setting (Just clicking: Begin Test) ie: to my ISP’s Headend in Tampa (My account being a 25/25 FIOS Connection):
ping: 17ms
Download: 30.71 Mbps
Upload: 28.06 Mbps

Now, Between My ISP’s Headend ( In Tampa) and Norilsk Russia:
ping: 750ms
Download: 28.65 Mbps
Upload: 13.15 Mbps

Tests done @07:40

1 Like

9.2MBit from Fast.com, so not unreasaonable.
Welcome to the universe of “you don’t need to send anything to anyone, peasant.”
I’ve finally upgraded from 3.5Mbit down/768Kbit up to 10Mbit down… 768Kbit up. Because that’s the absolute best Centurylink will sell me. There is no ADSL package that offers more upstream bandwidth. Ah, rural Virginia, ain’t you awesome?
But that’s a server 100 mi. from me. Let’s try NYC!

OK, not bad… Except for the part where it’s slower than 3/4 of the country. Yay, me?

But the real issue is my ping. Almost every evening around 10pm local time, I go from 30-40ms ping to 300-400. And not just to high-load servers coughworldoftankscough but to bing.com and altavista.com. I suppose there may be a sudden spike in queries to Altavista around that exact hour…
…bwahaha, OK, no, my ISP is screwing me. I just can’t figure out how or why. I thought ADSL wasn’t prone to local capacity overload the way cable was.

I’m at 29 with Comcast, on both Fast.com and Speedtest. I’m not sure if I should feel ripped off or not, however.

1 Like

Well, given what @CLamb pointed out above about the lack of any actual contractual promises, I suppose we can feel ripped off, even if we can’t legally do anything about it.

Kind of depends on whether
a) you selected your tier based on real needs (i.e 4k video streaming)
and
b) what you’re getting is available/actually obtainable from a competitor at a lower price.

i seem to have a bit of a discrepancy between Fast and SpeedTest. Multiple tests came out substantially similar. If this is intentional, CenturyLink is doing some serious throttling.

1 Like

Well… Just a guess mind you: While it’s 10 P.M. where you live and one would think " Gee most folk’s are asleep now thing’s should be faster because=Less network congestion" alot of folks forget that on the other half of the globe it’s 10 A.M. or there about.

That would make sense if I were pinging non-North American servers. But I’m talking about routing straight out of my ISP’s gateway. Unless millions of Chinese are dead set on connecting to mid-Atlantic Centurylink circuits…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.