How much would a star destroyer cost?

It doesn’t cost anything - you make the Mexicans/Bothans pay for it.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Things are different in the real future…

9 Likes

My local laundromat definitely has that other world feel to it.

2 Likes

Wrong! Will cost much much less. It’s going to be a beautiful thing! #FailingNYT obviously can’t count!

4 Likes

I think you and I and maybe three other people actually watched the video, judging from the comments. And that includes the person who posted it, who apparently just skipped to the end and saw a number?

3 Likes

Perhaps. Or possibly the OP watched it while multitasking. No biggie. Still entertaining.

2 Likes

Nope. Nor bathroom fixtures.

2 Likes

Okay, well, that was the geekiest thing I’ve seen all week.

Yeah, I thought it might be like the cost of an aircraft carrier multiplied by the size of the star destroyer, but they’ve just got the in-universe price as quoted in one of the EU books I guess?

For the record, assuming the star destroyer is 5 times as big as the Nimitz in every dimension, I’d make it about $1 trillion at the same cost per pound to make one that doesn’t fly.
To scale up the ISS to the size of a star destroyer, you’re talking maybe $4.5 quadrillion all up, but that’s a space station, not a space ship.
A better comparison might be the space shuttle. If we assume a star destroyer is 6250 times the mass of the shuttle, then it’s only $1.25 quadrillion.

2 Likes

But look at the credits saved on gaurd railing?

2 Likes

Interesting question: do droids count as employees or slaves or equipment?

1 Like

But the hyper-drive containment field container will cost millions. Have you ever tried containing lost dryer socks? There’s a reason they’re lost, you know.

2 Likes

That is my third favorite all time skit for Robot Chicken. But it is a far second to this one…

…also this one…

On a related note, a similar concept was used very well in one of my favorite tangential tributes to Carrie Fischer - a critical obituary of Princess Leia.

This posits the ultimate goal of Leia’s actions - putting economic pressure on the Emperor by destroying superprojects that were Galactic Domestic Product sinkholes.

The superprojects trend began during the Palpatinian Republic (and possibly earlier, if GAOR clone forces could be considered one of them), reaching an early peak in Stardust/DS-1 itself, a massive undertaking that consumed 1% of GaDP over nearly two decades. Alliance attacks on superprojects inflicted devastating economic damage and often led to the death and capture of key Imperial influencers, who preferred to personally supervise their work in case a competitor attempted to sabotage or seize control of it. Each attack made the Empire more reliant on successor superprojects to recoup losses and keep systems dependent on its common economy, but each failure prompted peripheral worlds to secede and escape the fallout. Although it would later become famous as a verse in Interstellar People’s War, Organa first explained her doctrine’s essence to Wilhuf Tarkin himself: “The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.” Yet the Empire remained locked into the cycle, to the point where the Emperor personally commanded a successor to Stardust/DS-1 in the hope that this economic necessity would at least create a viable terror weapon.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.