How much would a star destroyer cost?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/18/how-much-would-a-star-destroye.html

2 Likes

About a Zillion galactic credit standards, I reckon.

6 Likes

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…

Does that figure account for inflation?

4 Likes

I can hear the GOP now… “When can we start building it?”

10 Likes

It’s cheaper than the Wall.

12 Likes

Good thing it’s a galactic empire to spread the cost among hundreds of planets (that they haven’t blown up yet).

3 Likes

That is the wrong question. The question we should be asking, “Can we afford NOT to build a Star Destroyer and let the Rebel scum cavort around the galaxy, spreading their filth and lies?”

21 Likes

Soooooo, what you’re saying is that the Emperor was a job creator?

19 Likes

Did they figure in that a star destroyer has technologies that don’t exist yet here on earth?

Hyperdrives, deflector shields, etc. etc. etc

Really asking. Can’t watch the video right now.

2 Likes

Good point. What if hyper drives are just made of lost dryer socks, bellybutton lint, and a cat in a box?

7 Likes

fixed it for ya :smile:

4 Likes

“Mr. President . . . we cannot allow . . . a Star Destroyer DEFICIT!”

3 Likes

You’re presuming there will be Space Muslims to bomb in this hypothetical future.

From Rogue One, we know there’s Mexicans, so maybe that’s close enough?

1 Like

Easy, MacGyver. It can’t be that simple or somebody would have invented it already.

Right?

Right?

4 Likes

but Rogue One was a long time ago…

1 Like

OK then.  

1 Like

Er, the video estimates Earth’s economy at 60 trillion. They estimate one Star Destroyer at 225 million bucks based on their estimate of the relative value of the galactic credit to USD and the in-universe cost of one in galactic credits (which I assume they got from some of the EU stuff). They don’t estimate how much it would cost us to build just one.

4 Likes

Well, thousands of people go missing every year. Little do we realize they haphazardly made a Hyperdrive Engine and ended up light years away in an instant.

9 Likes

Got it.

10 Likes

One Triganic Pu.

2 Likes