How not to cover up your political sign theft

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/12/how-not-to-cover-up-your-political-sign-theft.html

14 Likes

Sigh… sometimes I just can’t.

10 Likes

Clearly, this criminal mastermind’s next step will be to blow up the courthouse.

18 Likes

Barbra Streisand !

17 Likes

what was going through this guy’s head as he drove around town stealing papers? omg i’m crying

10 Likes

Trump supporters don’t really think through about consequences

20 Likes

I didn’t get the story at all, until I read it for the forth time … then I didn’t get it because it’s so stupid.

4 Likes

IANAL, but homeowners have been sued for setting traps like that. When burglars or trespassers win civil suits for that reason, those cases tend to make the news (and insurance company pamphlets). I remember hearing about a case where the homeowner lost for failing to remove broken glass after a break-in*, because the next would-be robber who attempted to enter through the same window cut himself on it.

*There had been multiple break-ins through the same window, and the issue highlighted in the news was leaving the glass there intentionally vs. just getting tired of cleaning it up.

12 Likes

It makes more sense if you understand that a certain type of person here has redefined ‘Freedom’ in a narrow, crabbed way - it only means freedom from consequences for their actions.

A vote for Don is an aspirational action - their version of the American Dream is to get away with things just like he has.

Dude’s actions are perfectly consistent with his desire for what he understands to be his personal freedom. It just happens to be a political aspiration that is ethically indistinguishable from a 3 year old’s tantrum.

11 Likes

Oh come on. I always cover up my crimes by committing MORE crimes. That’s the American way! Just look at Donnie, for christ’s sake, his life is a master class in digging the illegal shit pile deeper!

10 Likes

I’m guessing the same high-pitched whistling sound you can sometimes hear when wind blows past the narrow entrance to a deep, empty cavern.

16 Likes

Doesn’t even deserve the participation award.

3 Likes

Do you think that if for one moment they did, they’d still be Trump supporters?

Wait… is that not classed as assault?

Edit: “English”

2 Likes

I’m not sure :thinking: i’d be interested to see how this shakes out though

2 Likes

A failed commissioner candidate in Benton Co. OR got caught at that last year … well after the election. The paper’s op-ed on him during the campaign season, and their reporting on his past, had been unflattering. https://www.corvallisadvocate.com/2019/max-mania-caught-stealing-was-2018-candidate/

1 Like

AAHHHHH I got the willies thinking about this.

2 Likes

Newspapers?

Just like his politics, this man’s understanding of how to crime is stuck in 1982.

10 Likes

From the article:

"The guy who did this was bragging in a bar that he was going to do it in front of a whole bunch of people and then when he went to the gas station to get the gas, he was bragging there that he was going to do it,” said Crane.

Dalton police say they arrested 49-year-old Lonnie Durfee and charged him with arson.

19 Likes

I’ll bet this brain trust also expects a presidential pardon…

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. Most people get their news in an online format. The only people reading literal newspapers are old people who would probably approve of his anti-Biden shenanigans anyway.