How not to safely store radioactive waste

which is still pretty good, but “quatermass and the pit” (the bbc-series, the movie of the same name is just schlock) is truly genius and to this day one of the best SF ever written and put to screen

great story, great actors, sometimes even superb acting and full of surprises. cant get enough of it and I have to see it at least once a year.
(hint: you can find the whole series in extremly good quality at archive.org)

the plots were lousy, but at least in this case they had a sort-of “logical” explanation for it:

Not long after leaving Earth’s Solar System, the wandering Moon passes through a black hole and later through a couple of “space warps” which push it even further out into the universe

4 Likes

Looks like this show aired in September 1975, when nuclear waste disposal was a very hot topic in the UK. A year later when the Kyshtym disaster (1957 explosion caused by improper nuclear waste storage) was first recounted, John Hill (UK atomic energy czar) called the accounts “rubbish” and “science fiction”. I wonder if he ever voiced an opinion about the Space 1999 episode? Seems like it must have raised some hackles.

2 Likes

Ah, I’d forgotten. Well, that excuses everything.

4 Likes

and Spock treated McCoy with dignity and respect.

is it wise to start a conversation about racism in TOS?

supposedly this explains the change in perspective associated with the falcon’s gunnery stations,

2 Likes

OK, a few things.

Saturday evenings, it was Space 1999 and Starlost. One was really, really bad.

TIL RIP Zienia Merton (2018)

But, a final message from moonbase alpha sent 20 years ago remains:

Yeah, that would have almost made it not worth it!

Anyone remember this?

1 Like
2 Likes

I kind of liked the movie. (Did you know that it was X-rated?) The three main actors were really good.

2 Likes

Gotta rev up those Majorana Major Fifths and Minor Thirds to get some ranking magnetic radiation for Nordstrom UK to stick up its nose following whatever Resident Ranking Official Bolivian Marching Powder makes the grade. Coca heather? Coca nettle? [Brings up a network monitor dashboard] Oh, that brain activity looks normal. Looks like Nordstrom’s Cheryl Strayed-ing it.

2 Likes

The movie is okay, but I like the serial better. The spaceship looks spacier, and the cheap FX look better in low resolution black and white. On the whole, the 1950ies ambience just works better for me.
No argument about Andrew Keir, though.

1 Like

I think most Sci Fi works better in B&W. Even Star Wars (try it, you’ll see). (Maybe I’m biased because I grew up with b&w televisions; I even bought one when I moved to England, much to the amusement of the counter guy at Argos, who thought they didn’t sell them anymore.)

On the whole, the 1950ies ambience just works better for me.

Just a few short weeks and the British will get to experience that 50s ambience all over again, except that UK farmers probably no longer grow turnips in sufficient quantity to keep the population fed.

2 Likes
2 Likes

In Seveneves the moon isn’t removed from orbit (well, lots of tiny pieces are) but just broken up, so most of its gravitational influence was still in place.

1 Like

Yes and it is on my amazon wishlist as I never saw the complete show.

Also Star Cops was on the local PBS station when I was in college.

1 Like

I saw it (Star Maidens) as an impressionable 11 or 12 year old when it came out; for some reason there never seemed to be any re-runs, which is odd in TV.

Star Cops I came across by accident a couple of years ago on teh yootubez. I quite like the concept, but I can see why it only lasted for one season - it’s simply much cheaper to make a cop show that isn’t set in space and needs a lot of costly FX.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.