How not to safely store radioactive waste

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/28/how-not-to-safety-store-radioa.html

6 Likes

A close second

12 Likes

More of a UFO fan, myself…

6 Likes

I tried to watch Space 1999, and I will be kind and just say Star Trek TOS as aged much more gracefully.

8 Likes

But not a single Star Trek series had BRIAN BLESSED!!!

29 Likes

I’d forgotten how much they lifted from Kubrick for this first episode - a lot of it, in both production design and camera angles, is shot-for-shot from 2001. Cool.

7 Likes

I have to say I was really pleased to see Ian McShane and Christopher Lee !

So… young…

18 Likes

OK, granted. (And, from what I understand, he was in both a Season 1 episode and a Season 2 one (which this image must be from).

I have sporadically been working my way through them, and they are terrible. The big reset button is pressed every_single_episode. Nobody does anything other than Cmd. John Koenig. Approximately one third of all dialog in the show is characters saying they have no idea how something could be happening, or expressing their disbelief that something did, in fact, just happen.

I will give them props for a rockin’ theme tune, and wonderful model work.

11 Likes

Yeah, Koenig is the only one to act, and most of the time his decisions makes no sense or make (or should make) things worst.

3 Likes

I recall liking the first season when it was first aired, but haven’t felt the need to revisit it since then. Some memories are best left that way.

6 Likes

I recently tried to watch the first episode of the second season, where Maya is introduced and it was so bad. Sooooooo baaaaad.

4 Likes

Did it matter? :wink:

tumblr_nj29l93sQS1sz7asho1_400

7 Likes

Yeah, they realized that the tiny smidge of story continuity that got them through the first season wasn’t going to sustain season 2, so they gave up completely and went with whatever crazy shit came out of the bowl.

5 Likes

02%20AM

18 Likes

I was not the target audience for the character. :grin:

3 Likes

Had all of the models, the Eagle and the Hawk, and made everything else out of balsa, gesso and whatever else we could find.

9 Likes

I did a rewatch of episodes 1 and 2 prior to Worldcon to refresh my memory before the panel I was going to be on. It did not age well. And the “spacey” background music is grating. But I did enjoy seeing young Ian McShane, just wish they would have given him more actual lines.

2 Likes

“She was right. It WAS radiation… Magnetic radiation.”

Oh No’s!!! the cell sites and wifi gonna gets us!!!

4 Likes

Welcome to SF TV prior to the Babylon 5, the idea of series or even season arcs was pretty new. Especially since the primary reason against it was that shows could be run out of order in re-run.

2 Likes

We were promised jetpacks AND mega-galactic sideburns and got neither. Neither I say!

3 Likes