How Penn Jillette lost 105 lbs

He is lucky his body didn’t hang onto the fat because of starvation.

3 Likes

Shitty weather is absolutely a factor when it comes to exercise.

Also, suburban areas where there’s no place interesting to walk, or it is dangerous (e.g., lots of freeways and roaring boulevards).

I’m lucky in that “bad” winter conditions in Portland is rain and dark; I deal with it with a light jacket and one of those stupid forehead lamps.

My neighborhood is “walkable,” but not so walkable that places I’d go to for groceries or lottery tickets are just around the corner.

If I were in the Midwest or New England where the winters can be brutal and the nearest interesting thing to walk to is a deli five miles away, I wouldn’t be so into my grocery walks.

Also don’t forget how much determination and willpower he has. He trains very hard and deals very well with discomfort when it’s important to him…some of his stories of bees and surgery without anesthetic (done as part of a show!) will make you cringe.
But well-done, Penn! Glad we’ll have you around longer.

1 Like

He wasn’t flirting with his favorite freemarket thinktanks with this move, though.

1 Like

The thing to remember with that show is Penn and Teller are also professional bullshitters.

3 Likes

Mirrors?

2 Likes

To stefanjones, and other weather refugees:
I live in a suburban hellhole in NE USA, the only part of the planet with below-normal winter temperatures this winter, and lots of snow too. This affected exercise, but did not destroy it. I jogged all winter, in the land of unusable or nonexistant sidewalks. Here’s how:

1. Run in the street. Streets were always cleared pretty quick. Just run facing traffic. Listen for cars coming behind you. If cars are approaching from both directions, STOP RUNNING! STAND STILL AT THE EDGE OF THE ROAD! STARE DAGGERS AT THE DRIVER IN YOUR LANE! THINK ABOUT JUMPING INTO A SNOWBANK!
    Well, it has worked for me.
  2. Gyms. Gyms are kind of a scam–people sign up with good intentions and then never show up, so their fees are pure profit. Unlike most scams, though, if you do show up even a few times per month, they are an enormous deal. Running on a treadmill is pretty dull–I generally listen to smartphone downloaded music (if my vision were better I could watch youtube movies)–but it is better than being coated with ice on the worst of days. And you get a free hot shower.

I know neither of these work well for anyone with a 5-day/week job and a commute, so my final take is
*** Exercise is much much less important than the eating less.***
I didn’t exercise much until near my target weight (see age, fear of injury, and commuting 2hrs/day)

1 Like

The diet he is on, Eat to Live, is hard. Like brutally hard. I managed to stay on it for three weeks before giving up because I was always hungry. The diet eliminates starchy vegetables, sugar, salt, oil, meat, etc. Basically, if it is calorie dense, you can’t eat it (it is more complicated than that, it is really nutrition:calorie ratios).

I’d sit down with two pounds of salad and a bowl of fruit, polish them off and still be starving. On that diet, it took a lot of effort to eat more than 1000 calories a day. Maybe if I had done it when more fruit was in season, I could have made it longer, but in the fall, it was a losing battle.

Hats off to anyone who can stay on that kind of diet, but most people are setting themselves up for failure if they try something like that.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I think his self-control is so important. He can rationally decide to do something really hard and uncomfortable and then just do it without complaint. I know I couldn’t…which is why my weight loss has been far slower and less dramatic.

Okay, I give up, where’d you hide the fat?

2 Likes

Lord, I try, but it’s hard living in Canada. I mostly aim for spring through fall, but that’s like five months of the year.

Needless to say, it’s the start of the current biking season and I feel very unhealthy. But that will change soon! I hope this year I can hit a modest goal of 500 km on a bike.

He looks wonderful! Bravo, sir!

I’m in Vancouver, but I know that’s not the real Canada!

My fat uncle is 90 years old and I bet he does not regret a single piece of pie.

4 Likes

Edmonton. FML.

1 Like

My weight has depended on access to large amounts of fresh produce. I used to live close to a family owned supermarket chain that would stack the crates of greenbeans on the sidewalk right off the truck. During another period I lived a couple blocks from a Chinese wholesale market, and that was basically the same setup but with crates of baby bok choy. Next year we will have a Costco right around the corner and I expect to lose weight again.

1 Like

The shittiest weather we had this winter was an ice storm that turned every possible surface into something slippery.

The sidewalk? pure ice.

The soft fluffy snow on either side? Coated in enough ice to make it nice and hard.

On a four block trip to the local store, I fell three times on my tailbone, and I never, ever, felt sure of my footing. Maybe it forced me to spend calories, but laying around in bed to recover did nothing of the sort.

I’m more concerned about his Scrabble tiled bathroom floor and the word “RX”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.