How Pinterest ruined image searching

But that’s when all the other domains start showing up… .fr, .co.uk…

4 Likes

I’ve luckily avoided that on there, probably because I’m largely avoiding linkedin these days, unless I’m bored. I’m amazed at how people are using the platform. Far too many people are using as a way to get closer to women. It’s sad because for a brief period of time, it was a somewhat useful platform.

1 Like

I’ve found that one relative who’s found a new career running a religious/spiritual counseling grift has upped their activity on LinkedIn in recent days. My working theory is that as family Thanksgiving dinners approach these types are laying the groundwork for new converts/clients/marks.

2 Likes

It’s not just that… Pinterest results also screw up reverse image lookup, when you’re trying to determine the bonafide and origin of a picture. The pictures are pinned without any attribution or origin, thus polluting the results when you’re trying to track down who did what when.

8 Likes

This is my problem. Sometimes the original source is another image sharing website and maybe one where the person who originally pinned it did so from a directory page that constantly shifts content, so the image will never be seen on that page again after new images are added. So you end up having to do a reverse google image search to try to find the original source (and often better quality version).

I’ve found images I’ve created on Pinterest not linked from the original source, but from image sharing websites that aggregate a bunch of images from places like DeviantArt and sometimes add their own watermarks.

A lot of Pinterest results for great art come from ArtStation, so sometimes I just end up going there to search, though the keyword searching may not be as effective.

3 Likes

I just use DuckDuckGo instead. I never run into Pintrest bullshit, and it gives me direct image links with zero fuss.

It’s like google images except you don’t need a bunch of addons to make it useful. And it also doesn’t track you.

Why would you ever go back to google?

10 Likes

I really, really dislike all the image searches that dead end into Pinterest when I’m trying to find the original source. I wish Google would de-list Pinterest. But, I’ve never thought of using the -site:pinterest operation. I didn’t know that one could use the minus tag to omit sites as an inverse of they way you can use “site” tag to limit searches to just a single site

2 Likes

Exactly! Came here to post the same.

Will give that chrome extension a try though. Sounds like just what I need.

3 Likes

Since I started using StartPage for all searches, Pinterest’s presence in my image searches has declined almost completely. It uses Google but stands between you and Google so the big G knows not who you are.

ETA I also use Brave Browser, which has abolished all adverts. It’s pretty good overall as a browser, too. Give it a go!

2 Likes

Sometimes you can trace it, but it’s a bit of a chore. Half the time, it leads back to tumblr, where most of the “comments” are “person liked this” rather than actual information.

2 Likes

i’m grateful that no one in my family gives a shit in what i believe in. holidays only get tense when there is one dinner roll left.

4 Likes

Oh how I wish that I can create a legal “lovefest” between Pinterest and Getty Images.
(let them fight.)

.se is another one I see a lot.

Really, the overflow of redundant TLDs for Pinterest sort of puts the lie to their claim that they’re not doing anything to game the system, it’s just “Google being Google”. If they were playing fair, I wouldn’t have to deal with the same image turning up from six different Pinterest TLDs with the same ID in the URL making it obvious that they’re all identical front-ends to the same database. They really are doing it on purpose.

Image search on DDG is frequently more productive, as other have noted, but I do still sometimes get results that are full of Pinterest links. Especially for broadly-popular stuff like Animal Crossing or Minecraft, where the cottagecore crossover with Pinterest users is particularly high.

5 Likes

Exactly. “What IS that?” " …we’ll never know."

2 Likes

Pinterest is a cancer on the internet. the addon to remove it from searches is fantastic.

1 Like

Sure is pretty, though.

2 Likes

I regularly run into the Pinterest wall while researching specific medieval pottery types, so it’s definitely not just wedding mood boards.

7 Likes

That was always just a catchphrase.

3 Likes

I get marketed to on LinkedIn by several small companies that coincidentally have a young attractive female fronting their outreach. Or at least that’s how they appear on LinkedIn. Not really a new technique, drug reps and booth reps typically tended towards the pretty.

Hey, you do you. I’m not one to kink-shame.

2 Likes