How Pinterest ruined image searching

just xpininterest

As if you could withstand that face…

(And yes, I intentionally chose a Pinterest image)

6 Likes

There’s that, but then there’s also dudes sliding into the DMs of women on LinkedIn talking about their beauty or asking if they’re married or just straight up sending photographs of their nether regions. I’m thinking more of the second one.

2 Likes

Medievalist reenactors, historians, researchers, all have learned to thoroughly despise Pinterest for all the reasons states above. But more, because it strips away the ability to find the origin of a picture, it allows for some random charlie to insert some new nonsense attribution, which then becomes fact.

My wife runs into this all the time. Her speciality is medieval embroidery from the Dar-al-Islam. Which is a pretty big field, when you think about it. From Andalus to India, from pre-Islamic times to the 17C. She’s pretty good at it. And one of her bugbears is someone taking a photo of a thing, labelling it as from the wrong time and place, and putting that up on Pinterest. And it spreads, and multiplies, and all the attributions are flat out wrong. (“That’s not 9C Byzantine, it’s 14C Persian!” is the sort of thing I’ll hear her yell at the computer.) But can you find a link to the museum collection which holds that thing and has the correct details on it? Even if you know what you’re looking for?

10 Likes

And first they came for…

You sound technically very savvy. You sound like you understand the problem. Most people don’t have either of these. You don’t have to, but it would be great if you would.

Yes, that’s worse.

Funny the things one doesn’t see as a concern when having not gone anywhere near G’s search engine for many many years now, DuckDuckGo’s image search is usually more than enough for my needs. Not to mention the functionality they keep building into it like a language translator, calculator, unit converter etc. I’ll be very sad the day it all gets sold off to some advertising corp! I’m not cynical, just paying attention.

3 Likes

I’d go -site:pinterest.* to also exclude other top level domains.

2 Likes

The only time I use Google Images is for a reverse image search, which I don’t think DDG does (yet). I know there’s https://tineye.com/ but I don’t think it’s as good. That said, it looks like you can do it with Bing too.

2 Likes

Doesn’t work for me. Using DDG on Brave browser.

I don’t know what DDG is, but using Google image search on Firefox on a desktop computer works for me (using the same search term). Or so it seems. I don’t get any Pinterest results when I omit the -site part either.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.