How the fight against gay marriage fizzled

It’s a little more complex than that. The real push to ban same-sex marriage, as a gambit to get conservative voters to the polls, was in 2004, and it worked; GWB’s re-election manager, Ken Mehlman, later came out of the closet and gave some support to SSM (although I’m not sure if he ever apologized for making the situation much, much worse).

Like it or lump it, 69.3% of modern politicians are hypocrites or liars about something.

Sometimes it’s a consitutional lawyer that kills americans without trial, sometimes its one of these http://gayhomophobe.com/

1 Like

Well, everyone needs a hobby.

1 Like

Sexual orientation is also not binary. Kinsey found that most people were somewhere other than at the extreme ends (“totally heterosexual” and “totally homosexual”) of his scale. One can be basically heterosexual, but also be tormented by feeling one’s sweat glands let loose when Channing Tatum or Selena Gomez comes on screen.

1 Like

So here is a study done in a similar manner (interviews with college students) that finds a group engaging in behavior that, in the main, the group professes to find offensive. How do we feel about this study? http://spp.sagepub.com/content/5/3/369

Your livescience link, past the headline, is littered with “may” this and “may” that

Welcome to science.

I hardly see how one can defend generalizing the whole group as such.

Sure you can. You’ve repeatedly generalized a group of people. You keep desperately claiming that vocal homophobes are straight.

Try some self-awareness.

I can’t read your psychologytoday link as I don’t have a subscription

You obviously don’t want to make the effort to educate yourself. No subscription is needed. And, if it doesn’t work for you, there’s plenty of other sources available if you lift a finger to try and look.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/09/study-homophobic-people-likely-repressing-homosexual-attraction/

I just find it, like I said, childish and disingenuous to suggest someone who is anti-gay secretly wants the cock, as I would if one suggested a militant feminist secretly has penis envy.

That’s an infantile and insulting comparison. A feminist isn’t going to focus on restricting the civil rights of others, nor destructively obsess over the unharmful sexual preferences of others. A “militant” feminist wouldn’t do that either.

Your misogynistic bias and ignorance is showing.

2 Likes

What’s your point?

1 Like

Sexual orientation is also not binary

I never claimed it was.

The studies you link are full of disclaimers and you are presenting them as definitive because you want to demonize a group of people you disagree with. Yes they may be guilty of the same behavior in regards to another issue but their bad behavior doesn’t excuse yours. The point I was hoping to make with that link, and I should have been more explicit, is that I can find similar studies on a number of topics. If I posted that study after an article on how blacks at college are subject to all sorts of racism and said 'Well hold on they are really only complaining to cover up the fact that 69.3% of them hate themselves for wanting to be white" or some similar statement not a single person would look at that study and say oh yeah this is definitive.
[mod edit: removed insult]

If we meet half way, we can solve this now.

I will get the numerator.

As I linked previously, that site is tracking the number of people “who used a position of power to promote or support an anti-gay agenda, and turned out to be a closet case.” They indicate 31 cases since 2004.

So all you have to do to get the denominator is to identify number of times legislation was introduced to promote or support an anti-gay agenda since 2004.

That ought to be a more reliable indicator …Why Most Published Research Findings Are False

[mod edit: removed insult from another poster]

1 Like

It continues to fizzle out and another decade or two will see most homophobia as a relic of the past (outside a few wacky communities that will cling to it with ever increasing fervour).

Most of us Gen x types are indifferent or supportive of equality rights for basically anyone that isn’t hurting anyone else. For those of us who grew up in relatively small/conservative communities that came through a process of discovering our own bogus assumptions, but at this point most of us are have arrived, clue-wise. My kids’ generation is far beyond that into completely casual acceptance of gender and sexual identity.

By the time Nirvana is on the audio loop at Shady Acres retirement village, the gay marriage ‘debate’ will be a footnote in history.

Here is a really good article to read called “The Conservative Case For Gay Marriage” by Theodore “Ted” Olsen – yes, the Theodore Olsen who helped George W. Bush become president through his argument before the Supreme Court. It’s well-reasoned, and is one I always have my friends read, no matter whether they are conservative, liberal, or “other”.

[mod edit: removed insult]

Thank you, mod. Settle down there, Stewart.

The studies you link are full of disclaimers

Welcome to science.

you are presenting them as definitive

No, the studies aren’t definitive, but I’m not a dullard who can’t recognize obvious patterns, either.

I’m presenting them as studies that support what most of us have witnessed in reality. A reality that has somehow escaped you despite numerous high profile examples that go along with what many of us have witnessed firsthand as well.

Deal with it.

because you want to demonize a group of people you disagree with.

Homophobes that viciously attack gay people, attack their civil rights, treat gays as second class citizens, compare gays to sick animals, generally obsess over gays with persistent, vocal loathing while contributing to the self-hatred, physical abuse, murders and suicides of gay kids?

Those homophobe motherfuckers demonize them-fucking-selves with their own shitty actions, thank you very much.

If I posted that study after an article on how blacks at college are subject to all sorts of racism and said 'Well hold on they are really only complaining to cover up the fact that 69.3% of them hate themselves for wanting to be white" or some similar statement

An utterly false and inane comparison.

There isn’t a device that can properly measure “racist arousal” to help determine hidden desires when someone is exposed to imagery of other races. fMRI can lead to clues, that’s all.

On the other hand, if you’d educate yourself you’d know there’s phallometric devices, etc. that (while not perfect) can and do measure sexual arousal that can often expose hidden sexual desires.

Educate yourself:

http://my.psychologytoday.com/files/u47/Henry_et_al.pdf

And, these devices have been tested for false positives:

When homophobes consistently get more sexually aroused by homoerotic imagery more than even open homosexuals do, it’s time to pull off the blinders and realize the pattern.

Ignore reality all you want to, just leave me out of your delusions please. We’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Fuck homophobes, they can rot in fucking hell. If you think I should pander to them and ignore their destructive, hypocritical, weak bullshit that demeans, depresses, dehumanizes and destroys innocent lives then you’ve got another fucking thing coming …

4 Likes

I don’t know if you could call the group of people against equal rights for sexual minorites ‘a population’. The 69.3% stat was of those who oppose gay/lesbian marriage. And I think it was a joke.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.