Leaked Mormon Church booklet for leaders claims masturbation turns you gay

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/15/leaked-1981-mormon-church-book.html

3 Likes

I can see how the practice could plausibly make you better at being a gay lover, that’s hardly the same thing.

I mean, I wipe my own butt but that doesn’t mean I suddenly want to dedicate my life to home hospice care.

26 Likes

Other absurd declarations about homosexuality included moms coddling their sons could turn them gay, and that it “may involve violent or criminal behavior.”

Ever since I read Edward O. Wilson’s sociobiological opinion of why populations of eusocial organisms like humans may benefit from increasing rates of homosexuality because it produces more adults to care for the existing community, perspectives like this one about “violent” homosexuals seem incredibly off base.

Further reading: Edward O. Wilson on Homosexuality

15 Likes

I’d be interested to see what if any evidence Wilson cites in support of the premise that there is, in fact, any “increasing rates of homosexuality” during such times.

9 Likes

The link doesn’t say anything about increasing rates, just about why things which apparently reduce reproductive success may persist in populations.

(OT but there is a similar thing about why in the past rulers persisted with mass armies most of whom were poorly trained. The idea was that the enemy would waste ammunition on the poor soldiers who presented easier targets, which gave more scope for action to the capable soldiers. This was seen in practice as late as D-day.)

4 Likes

It was originally described in “The Social Conquest of Earth”, but I read it too long ago to recall what data he supplied, if any.

His claim may have been more related to a biological basis for homosexuality, rather than demonstrating that it does increase in times of stress (which may be my interpretation). I will edit to reflect that.

7 Likes

Other absurd declarations about homosexuality included moms coddling their sons could turn them gay, and that it “may involve violent or criminal behavior.”

Moms?

Heh.

5 Likes

another great reason to do so!

1 Like

Well, I masturbated a lot, and now here I am, very gay. Apparently it’s true!

22 Likes

This requires some research… back in an hour.

20 Likes

Wow. I must be really, really, REALLY gay.

9 Likes

If masturbation makes people gay, what makes people straight? :thinking:

18 Likes

I guess if men being coddled by their mothers become gay then they should be coddled by their fathers instead to become straight?

13 Likes

Masturbation.

11 Likes

They just need to change their diets.

11 Likes

Graham crackers, too, IIRC.

8 Likes

Leaked Mormon Church booklet for leaders claims masturbation turns you gay

My lifetime of research says otherwise.

17 Likes

Give it time.

14 Likes

Wiping your own butt properly also makes you gay though.

25 Likes

Reminds me of a joke from the 70s - around 1975 iirc.

Man goes to see psychiatrist with severe anxiety. The psychiatrist asks what he’s anxious about.
“Well, you know Hitler and the Nazis used to kill gay people?”
“Yes.”
“And you know that until recently being gay was illegal in this country?”
“Yes”
“But even after that they kept prosecuting gay people for public indecency?”
“Yes.”
“But now they’ve stopped.”
“Yes, indeed,” says the psychiatrist. “So what is it exactly that you’re anxious about?”
“I’m worried that they’re going to make it compulsory and I won’t know how to do it.”

10 Likes