How the Tom Ford fragrance "Fucking Fabulous" was named

Originally published at: How the Tom Ford fragrance "Fucking Fabulous" was named | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Maybe he’s just a Maxx Barry fan?

I’m a little surprised their marketing department would sign off on this, since it’s going to strongly limit advertising options. You’re not going to be able to do radio ads, magazine ads, billboards, TV ads, etc. At least not without self-censoring the name in awkward ways. But hey, at least we’re all talking about it, I guess.

2 Likes

Exclusivity!

3 Likes

There are always options, apparently:

5 Likes

I’m not. Controversy and sex sell and, quoting Wikipedia here:

[Ford] is known for sexy clothes, making provocative statements, and creating racy advertisements.

This sounds so on-brand that I’m only surprised it didn’t happen sooner.

4 Likes

That’s too fucking expensive!

6 Likes

Love Tom Ford’s fragrances.

1 Like

Oud wood and Tobacco Vannile are my favorites, but both are a bit too intense to daily. Fucking Fabulous is good, but not as remarkable as the aforementioned two. Find myself wearing ombre leather much more than my other TF frags.

1 Like

“I understand that this could be offensive to people, but it’s been done in a super elegant, high-end way with good taste.”

You see, when WE do it, it is tasteful. When the plebs do it, it is tasteless. Fucking Bollocks.

2 Likes

Not if you literally can’t run ads because nobody outside of pop culture aggregation blogs can print the name of your product. That was my point.

Also, please let go of the cliché “sex sells”. What that actually means is “objectification of women sells things to men”.

2 Likes

Who are the target audience for this product for sure. I stand by the cliché in this case.

1 Like

Innuendo sells, too. As does faith, fear, aspiration, peer pressure…

I remember seeing Alan C. on the Graham Norton show, ages back. I vaguely recall some banter about potentially titling his autobiography “I’m Cumming”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.