How Tim FitzHigham became the Commodore of Sudbury Quay by rowing a bathtub across the English Channel

Originally published at: How Tim FitzHigham became the Commodore of Sudbury Quay by rowing a bathtub across the English Channel | Boing Boing

2 Likes

It truly is an excellent read and very drily humorous with some sublime slapstick moments, too.

Highly recommended.

(I’ve recommended it here before in BTL comments.)

2 Likes

I loved Tim FitzHigham: The Gambler.

The second series is on BBC Sounds.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Tim+FitzHigham%3A+The+Gambler"

1 Like

I was able to get a copy on order and it should get here soon, but I think Tim FitzHigham should do an audiobook version, because his short reading for The Moth was one of the most well delivered stories I’ve heard there. ^____^

1 Like

I admit that I was disappointed when I looked up a photo of the vessel:

A far cry from the nursery rhyme books we all grew up with.

I mean, when reading about “rowing a bathtub” most of us envision the tub itself being the hull, right?

That guy who just broke a record for paddling a pumpkin 38 miles down a river would probably get much less acclaim if the pumpkin had been placed on top of the deck of a pontoon boat.

2 Likes

Relevant (at least tangentially): the Nanaimo-to-Vancouver Bathtub Race. Bathtub racing - Wikipedia

1 Like

The book makes clear, in hilarious detail, why it had to be like that - and it was not just practicality, he had to conform to a raft (deliberate pun) of maritime regulations, and that was the least he could get away with on both fronts.

(He also has a quite fun YT channel.)

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I meant about the planets lining up and person after important person helping Tim achieve his goal, like a variant of a “green-wave” where all of the traffic lights along one’s path turn green as if the universe unanimously agreed that you deserved a hall pass, right here, right now.

That everything was convoluted to fit within the confines of laws, codes and regulations makes it all the sweeter for the extra difficulty heaped upon an already mountain’esque peak of obstacles.

I agree w/ everyone as well that my initial thought was a bathtub with oars, but after hearing Tim read from his book at The Moth, I love everything about the Lilibet II even moar. ^____^

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.