How to beat airlines' excess baggage weight fee

[Permalink]

1 Like

If only I had taken pictures when I did this a few years back (I can’t be the only one) I could be rolling in internet points.

This is the kind of behavior I have come to expect from Australians.

3 Likes

Omigosh the guy on the right is a superhero! You can tell because his undies are on the outside.

8 Likes

That’s an impressive collection of hats to bring on vacation. Chacun à son goût!

2 Likes

Wear your luggage. I’ve followed that principle myself, though only to the point that I’ve been wearing my suit rather than my everyday clothes since it would otherwise require a bigger suitcase.

REEEEEEEEEEAL AUTSTRAAAALIAN HEEEEEEEEROOOOO!

We salute you, Fair-Dinkum Cobber.

One of my parents worked for Air Canada back in the 60s. She said they could tell the Russians coming off the planes. They were the ones wearing all their clothes on their backs. Not sure if the reason was that they were trying to defect or if they were charged extra for baggage along the way.

If I remember the source correctly, the guys were from San Francisco not Australia.

Then the TSA agent asks you to take all but one layer off during screening, like they often do.

3 Likes

Or worse, you have to go naked!

I had a similar experience, except it was winter and I was wearing a coat with really big pockets and they told me my carry-on was too heavy. Emptied a bunch of stuff from the bag into my pockets, in full view, and then asked them to weigh the bag again.

A ball of sweaters or shirts also makes a great makeshift pillow. Another smaller pillow is good to place under one’s lower back to make the seat feeling a bit less “budget”.

Lucky these guys weren’t going through a US airport. Heck, they wouldn’t even have to take their shoes off at security.

Or you could just buy a ScotteVest and forget the carry-on altogether. I’ll admit that a lot of their stuff is a triumph of practicality over style, but it’s great to walk up to airport security and just take off your jacket and walk through, then pick it up at the other side …

1 Like

Wouldn’t the world be a much better place if practicality triumphed over style more often?

1 Like

More efficient, but much uglier.
I’ll take a pass on that world, thanks.

Uglier. Meh. You can keep this one then, and suffer daily the annoyances imposed by designers who thought their choices are Prettier than the more sensible alternatives.

Some people are too squeamish.

Thank you, I shall. I love impractical stuff like open-spaces, art and architecture.

And some are too callous. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not mutually exclusive. I don’t mind “pretty” as long as it does not interfere with “practical”.

A lifetime of dealing with all the crap while seeing how it could be done better will do that to some. :stuck_out_tongue: