“How to become gluten intolerant”

Mod note: Stay on topic

1 Like

Vegan wine if there are meat byproducts in it (I am gonna have to look that up, not that I care but interesting) I can understand but the idea that people need to be told that say a bag of carrots is ‘gluten free’. Are people really that damn clueless?

1 Like

I get your larger point, since marketeers do coat-tail in some demonstrably silly ways … except … the weirdest things keep turning up in the oddest places due to manufacturer’s insistent drive to reduce costs at all, er, costs. I mean, not that long farmers were feeding cows the ground up carcasses of their herd-mates who’d died of disease, FFS. Given that level of wilful disregard for the consumer, I think some scepticism over the contents of what you eat - even with simple or seemingly pure foods like packaged carrots - is merited.

3 Likes

Baby Carrots for the win… Exactly what it says on the tin bag.

Nope. They’re usually deformed middle aged carrots ground down to a standard size/shape to be made more acceptable to free-spending consumers.

(those bundles of baby carrots, though, tied with twine around their green leafy bits, and still with bits of dirt clinging to them? Yeah, they’re legit. And delicious.)

2 Likes

You’re no fun.

5 Likes

Bonsai carrots?

1 Like

Banzai Carrots

1 Like

Ahh like isinglass in beer.

Why do we tolerate bonsai?

It’s a conspiracy, engineered by Big Bonsai™

3 Likes

And this is terrible for people who are genuinely intolerant of gluten. A friend of mine who gets terrible gut pains if she consumes gluten was at a pot luck, and had to (obviously) politely ask if certain things had wheat in them. One person who claimed to be gluten-free had brought a quinoa salad. But it wasn’t quinoa. It was couscous.

Now, my friend can tell the difference between quinoa and couscous, so problem avoided, but wow, it really sucks to be the person who genuinely has the problem that other people have adopted as a fad.

Yeah, my friend tells me there just isn’t a worthwhile gluten-free pizza. On the other hand, she makes great cheesecake, so I guess life goes on.

To be fair, those people probably weren’t even vegans. That’s just a transparent veil for theft.

[quote=“MarjaE, post:81, topic:53736, full:true”]
Why do we tolerate bonsai?
[/quote]I don’t. I’m on a strict no-bonsai diet (I swear, it’s a cureall)

1 Like

There’s no shame with being gluten-free curious. Try it, you might just like it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Jokes aside, I’d go see a nutritionist rather than a doctor. They can be very hit and miss when it comes to things that don’t involve prescriptions. Just pay attention to what you eat and keep a food diary.)

Which I noted later, they were spotted eating oysters else where. I’m in a small tourist area and they’d apparently been bouncing around town causing problems for a week or so. They had apparently made it a point to not eat at any restaurant that didn’t feature a printed vegan menu, despite not being vegan. Refused our offer to make them vegan food as well. It was the existence of a printed menu they were insistent on, with us and elsewhere. It was absolutely bizarre, and noone in the restaurants out here could figure out what it was all about. We were the only ones they stiffed.

In the end a bunch of servers from other spots bought me beers for having the nards to call the cops on them. They’d been kicked out of or refused service at a lot of places for causing problems of various sorts. I imagine if any of the party had been vegan, they’d have been thrilled we were willing to cook for them off menu.

2 Likes

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber.
And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself.
And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest.
And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil.
One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear.
And terror possesed me then.
And I begged,
“Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?”
And the angel said unto me,
“These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!
You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust.”

4 Likes

I have the opposite problem. I have a number of (medically diagnosed) allergies, including wheat. But it’s a tiny allergy compared to some of my other ones. And I only got an allergic reaction because the allergist injected wheat whatever into my arm, surely my digestive system can handle that stuff. That’s what it’s designed for, right? Our bodies are not designed for subcutaneous wheat consumption. Right?

But no… After years of crappy digestion I have now entered the world of the wheat-free. Can’t see any benefit yet, but life is a lot less fun. (Also the wheat =/= gluten conversation is getting old).

1 Like

An old housemate’s ex-boyfriend was gluten intolerant. In that, not only could he not eat gluten, he would deride people who did eat gluten and consider himself superior to us poor gluten-consuming fools. He’d just sit there at breakfast eating his quinoa porridge and sneer at everyone.

But then, he was one of the most horrible people I’ve ever met.

4 Likes

Better still; go see a dietician since they, unlike nutritionists, are actually qualified to know WTF they’re talking about.

9 Likes

It’s food, not brain surgery. I’ve seen dieticians and nutritionists and I prefer the latter, because they’re generally cheaper and easier to get appointments with so you get more support while struggling with the epic challenge of changing your diet for the long term.

But, of course, YMMV. Seek nutritional advice from the medical practitioner of your choice.

So … which is it - not-brain-surgery or epic-challenge?

But you’re right. If you prefer woo then good luck to you.

1 Like