"How to Behave in a British Pub" -- 1943 film for U.S. soldiers

I do!

Plus other characters

1 Like

For a long time, same here… until colleagues years back took me to one of Santa Monica’s English pubs. Lots out there, I learned. That one time, I did try out the Guinness dark stout. I’m just not into beer, but I liked the stout, although at room temp. Went great with the steak and chips. (I’m no expert, obviously. The only other beer I ever liked was the creamy, house ale at McSorley’s Old Ale House, and enough to go back there on many occasions.)

3 Likes

If you prefer lagers or very light ales, cold is the way to go.

I once had a stout at a restaurant that served all their beers at the same ice-cold temperature. It was absolutely awful, and I quite like stout.

4 Likes

There were already servicemen from the West Indies in Britain during the Second World War, and some of the first post-war immigrants had served in Britain during the war. I read an article about black American soldiers in Britain which mentioned incidents of trouble between white American soldiers and West Indies servicemen, including one case in which a white American refused to salute a black RAF officer.

4 Likes

This is an excerpt from a longer film which can be found here:

The full version is well worth watching for two reasons:
  • Meredith lays it on the line for bigoted American soldiers who think they can carry their attitudes about black GI’s into Britain. Boils down to “keep that shit to yourself”.
  • a pretty funny cameo toward the end by someone you’ll all recognize.

But as noted by the commenters on YouTube, this is not too realistic, as shown by the fact that the asshole GI insults a couple of Scots soldiers and exits the scene with all his teeth.

14 Likes

A few years back Guinness decided that to tempt in younger people, they would offer ‘Guinness Extra Cold’, which used a modified pump to chill normal Guinness down to 3C. This masks all the bitter flavours, making it much more palatable to people who don’t normally drink bitter.
Of course, but the end of the pint it’s probably warmed up to room temperature anyway. I don’t drink Guinness these days (it got too expensive), so I don’t know if they still do it.

(As an aside, Guinness uses nitrogen to pump the beer up from the cellar, compared to CO2 for other beers and lagers, which entails a whole separate set of gas bottles to somehow fit in the cellar)

2 Likes

I heard a radio interview with E.R. Braithwaite a while ago. The interviewer asked him about his time as a pilot in the RAF during the war and Mr Braithwaite almost broke down. Even ~50 years later, he still couldn’t talk about it.

1 Like

This one too; funny but no longer nearly as meaningful:
Q: How is American beer like having sex in a canoe?
A: They’re both f*****g close to water.

1 Like

I’ve been watching this. It’s pretty entertaining and informative for the mood of the times. Good research material for a story I’ve been writing.

The hilarious part for me is that Burgess Meredith uses an opera length cigarette holder in one scene:

Which of course seems eerily prescient considering one of his famous roles in the succeeding decades:

penguin-300x234

He even makes the same toothy grin.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.