"How to Behave in a British Pub" -- 1943 film for U.S. soldiers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/25/how-to-behave-in-a-british-p.html

10 Likes

I don’t like warm beer.

7 Likes

These gentle hints were designed to stop “unpleasant incidents” like these, which were covered up until the war was over:

20 Likes

SHUT THE DOOR, Meredith.

13 Likes

If you want to read more on the topic the book “When Jim Crow Met John Bull: Black American Soldiers in World War II in Britain” is worth a read.
I used to work with a guy that had been a black MP in Italy at the close of the war. It is probably not an accident that they were set up in a village checking Italian civilian vehicles for black market American tires rather than policing US troops.

10 Likes

My Austrian grandfather had this special ceramic-tube thingie you filled with hot water, that you could submerge in your beer on cold winter days to get it up to room temperature. I remember a debate with my uncle, who said “if it’s cold, how can you taste it?”

8 Likes

That was really good

2 Likes

Yanks: Overpaid, oversexed and over here!
Tommies: Underpaid, underfed and under Ike.,

4 Likes

This is very cosy (less than 7 new pence for a pint of beer!), but the fun part is the implicit assumption that American GIs would by default be, like, scratching their asses on the carpet

3 Likes

Holy Moses! I had only watched a bit of it before posting the above, but I just watched further - I didn’t realize the Army had wizards on staff back then! Question is, did Burgess Meredith teleport the rude American away, or just disintegrate him?!?

Don’t mess with the Army Mage Corps, I guess!

5 Likes

Where the video at???

ETA Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GCcoaSq3x4

3 Likes

The writing was good, but Meredith really sells it. The talent and charisma radiates through the screen.

8 Likes

The late Italian author Umberto Eco wrote about how his first introduction to Americans was Black US soldiers sent to secure his small town near Milan after the war. It’s an aside in his famous essay on the nature of fascism. The beginning of the essay is available here (with the rest under a paywall, unfortunately). https://www.nybooks.com/articles/1995/06/22/ur-fascism/

8 Likes

Oh my… it’s like a place where everyone might know your name, but will leave you the hell alone until you’re ready to engage. GOODBYE FOREVER, 'MURICA

4 Likes

Well, nobody likes warm American beer.* And most only tolerate it when it’s properly chilled.

*Thank the gods that the microbrewery and craft beer revolutions make this joke less relevant, to be honest.

6 Likes

Beer is too generic a term. Some are best a bit chilled, some are best very cold, some rather warmer. British bitter’s taste is best savoured at a warmer temperature, but whatever passes for yellow bubbly beer stuff in parts of US is probably best drunk very cold - of course you wouldn’t like it warm. :wink:

ETA @fnordius beat me to it

3 Likes

The device is known as a Tauchsieder, and though rare nowadays a lot of older traditional Bavarian pubs still have them for elderly clientele.

3 Likes

Thanks! I never knew the name of it. Now I no longer have to call it a “little ceramic tube thingie for warming your beer”. :slight_smile:

Oh, I see more advanced ones are electric. Or maybe I was misremembering, and his was electric too.

Not only that, but the proper temperature for a good British beer is cellar temperature (roughly 50° F), not room temperature nor ice-cold.

4 Likes

The general consensus of opinion seems to be that the only American soldiers with decent manners are the Negroes.

— George Orwell, “As I Please”, Tribune 3 December 1943.

And allegedly one English landlord, faced with US military insistence that he impose a colour bar in his pub, put up a sign reading “Black troops only”.

(Of course, migration from the West Indies a few years after the war would reveal quite different attitudes.)

7 Likes