Lessons from Pratchett

[Read the post]

6 Likes

“Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.”

20 Likes

that’s a pretty wonderful list

2 Likes

The one about knowing where your next meal is coming from was a major tenet of the British Army. The world might be collapsing, but it was the duty of the officers to try and get all their men a hot meal every day. It was “good for morale”.

2 Likes

And, lest we forget:
“It always embarrassed Samuel Vimes when civilians tried to speak to him in what they thought was ‘policeman’. If it came to that, he hated thinking of them as civilians. What was a policeman , if not a civilian with a uniform and a badge? But they tended to use the term these days as a way of describing people who were not policemen. It was a dangerous habit: once policemen stopped being civilians the only other thing they could be was soldiers.”
Terry Pratchett
“Snuff”

6 Likes

I remember Pratchett was very fond of pointing out that everybody has something to hide; I think his books were where I actually learnt that. An important consideration that even now often goes overlooked when an authority figure trots out the “Nothing to hide, nothing to fear” line.

This is what a large number of US police forces - and in the UK the Metropolitan Police - seem to disagree with.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.