UK cop filmed threatening to "make something up" to arrest man

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/18/uk-cop-filmed-threatening-to.html

5 Likes

Dear UK LE,

The dismal condition of US LE is a cautionary lesson, not a blueprint. Please don’t emulate our asshattery. Metastasization is NFG.

24 Likes

“We’ll make something up,” not “I’ll make something up.”

Evidence of institutional corruption. Investigating this one cop isn’t enough.

22 Likes

The officer has the kind of beard that used to denote “hipster male grooming enthusiast” but now denotes “macho asshole”.

7 Likes

I know Americans tend to think they are so special, but cops can be assholes without having been inspired by USA. Police corruption is as old as police.

15 Likes

I once had a very, very unfortunate crossing of paths with a crooked cop who apparently despised me for being young, in college and not kissing his ass. I’d write more specifically about it here but it’s an event I keep under wraps for various reasons. Had I not been peripherally friends with the District Attorney I’d have a felony record today. The arrest report the cop fictionalized out of thin air ranked up there with the Mormon Bible and Scientology for BS and was literally 100% untrue.
Anyone else watch that video but in their mind’s eye see the arrest scene from A Clockwork Orange?

9 Likes

Yeah … but the US has its special history of slave patrols and slave catchers infecting what policing is.

So that shot at US “law enforcement” is well deserved.

8 Likes

How does one “attempt” to apologize? You either do or you don’t. Sounds like they’re trying to appease in the moment, without any real intention to apologize.

1 Like

Cops like these need to be named as a matter of principle. 20 years of having this video being the first on a Google search for their names is a decent warning to others.

13 Likes

When they say they will investigate the officer I somehow imagine that it will fall well short of reexamining every case and ticket he ever filed, which should be the standard for when an officer is caught promising to corrupt the justice system.

13 Likes

American cops carry guns. That’s special.

5 Likes

Well, one can only apologise to someone if one can find them. And if they agree to you talking to them.

I suppose you could just issue a press statement saying ‘We’re sorry’ or tweet it but that’s not really an apology is it.

8 Likes

Yes, finding the person and apologizing to them would be ideal, but a public apology even without him would be good. This kind of behavior is not just an affront to the individual, but to all of society that expects ethical behavior from their police. The entire community needs an apology.

4 Likes

As a resident of South Yorkshire I am depressingly unsurprised by this.
Orgreave
Hillsborough
Street Trees
That list is just from one smallish area, and the things that made it into the news. Gods know what goes on that we never get to hear about. And it’s without all the BS they’ve been pulling during the CV-19 epidemic.

4 Likes

Oooh, that officer’s wrist is going to get such a slap!

5 Likes

I recently read an article about how soldiers from WW I were recruited as police in Ireland, and after brutalizing their way through that they were sent on to Palestine, and then Kenya and other British colonies.

Not really, although they are unusually trigger happy. Even Trump’s favorite country Sweden has armed cops. The prevalent SWAT teams with heavy military equipment are a bit more unusual.

2 Likes

Having defense lawyers bring the video out every time he testifies in court may ruin his day too.

9 Likes

How does that tie into policing in the US and England ?

The closest thing to American cops, geographically, are Canadian police. One of the big differences is that you are 2.9 times more likely to die in a confrontation of any sort with American police than with Canadian police.

4 Likes