UK cop filmed threatening to "make something up" to arrest man

any real apology would start with firing that cop, at the very least

4 Likes

The English are far more likely to refer their singular self as “we” than you might imagine.

2 Likes

Ah, good point. When I read they would investigate the officer, I first thought, “what do you need to investigate? Saw the video, aaand fired.” But you’re right, they need to look back at all his previous encounters, arrests, etc.

2 Likes

It doesn’t really pertain to the US, just to some of the British Colonies (Colonies may not be the correct term).

In Ireland, these troops were known as ‘Black and Tans’ and even some 100 years on, their mention will provoke an extreme reaction from most Irish people.

5 Likes

And here in Amurica, that’s a drink… :frowning_face:

4 Likes

Bernel is talking about British soldiers being recruited as British police who were sent to police those overseas territories. That’s how, I’m afraid.

ETA @Mercenary_Garage beat me to it and gave extra detail re Ireland.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure we have that here too.

What we don’t have here though is the Irish Car Bomb.

Personally, I don’t find the idea of a Black and Tan drink offensive. But I’m ashamed to say I find the Irish Car Bomb hilarious!

5 Likes

An apology and an “investigation”. How about life imprisonment for the cop? Anyone who would abuse that position of power to that degree is too dangerous to be allowed back into society, with or without their job in law enforcement. We need to take police corruption as seriously as possible- these people can ruin (or end) the lives of innocent people on a whim. Police should be held to the highest standards, or this will keep happening unchecked forever.

1 Like

While I’d like to think that our Canadian cops are just nicer, eh? the main reason is likely that Canada doesn’t have the handgun culture or availability of the USA. The cops aren’t on a hair trigger wondering if the guy they just pulled over is going to come out shooting.

2 Likes

My dad was in the Marines. He once told me that drill sergeants at boot camp would get together to secretly gang up on recruits that even one of them didn’t like, and beat them, and that on occasion, a recruit or two would disappear afterwards.

2 Likes

He needs to brush up on his peelian principles… or read them at least.

5 Likes

Whereas in the US the image of UKoGBaNI police is this:

1 Like

They need to get a goat.

1 Like

You’re not very aware of how cops work in other countries, are you? The UK is rare, the U.S. is common. Lots of abusive cops the world over are armed.

1 Like

U.S. cops are taught to shoot to kill. Before the militarization of the police, gun use was considered a last resort, and pulling a gun was considered to be a failure of good policing. Now, they’re taught to be automatic killers at the least real or imagined threat.

Police training requirements in Canada are more uniform from province to province and probably of a higher standard than many other countries. I know of several experienced police that have been asked by Canada External Affairs to be seconded the UN and other agencies to train police forces in the Middle East and Central America, partially in an effort to instill the ethical principles and professionalism that trusted law enforcement needs to be just and effective.

1 Like

True, but…

ACAB.

4 Likes

We all need bodycams. 24/7

corrupt assholes are drawn to positions of power. luckily a lot of them are too fucking stupid to realize that everyone has a camera these days.

1 Like