Starbucks apologizes after two cops claimed they were ignored by the baristas

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/16/starbucks-apologizes-after-two.html

Wait a moment! I have what your deputies need:

25 Likes

Funny how everybody’s¹ just “we’ll just take your word for that,” instead of considering that maybe the cops were bitching for not being able to jump the line. Because we know cops would always be professional and never get dramatic. (Yes, that last sentence is sarcasm).

¹Not here, obviously.

32 Likes

For those who don’t know this Riverside County is in California, USA.
Had to look it up myself.

5 Likes

Well, I’m sure they have bodycam footage of them trying to get served and being ignored, right? /s

20 Likes

First mistake – going into a Starbucks.

Never again.

4 Likes

Five minutes is a really long time for a cop. They could have shot a kid in the back and wrestle a quadriplegic to the ground in five minutes.

And everyone rejoiced.

18 Likes

A sign maybe community outreach should be a priority in your department.

23 Likes

There were tweets from people saying that they were former Starbucks staff, who said that the point of sale software prevents baristas entering derogatory names, and that the customer must have ordered online and specified “Pig” as the name to appear on the label.

6 Likes

When cops are being ignored by baristas maybe it’s time for the whole of the US police industry to consider that it may have a reputation problem. Not that they care.

Or maybe they won’t worry about it until they start getting ignored in doughnut shops - that’s when there will, no doubt, be a provable need for police investment in community relations outreach! /s

11 Likes

I read an article that the manager, a trans woman, was fired. She didn’t have anything to do with the label. One of her staff did it. She was mid transition and lost insurance coverage. Now she’s jobless mid transition with no way to continue.

Job hunting in those circumstances is almost impossible.

19 Likes

Snopes says this is incorrect. There is a small notation at the bottom of the label that says “cafe”.
If it was an online order, it would have said “mobile”.

2 Likes

Lousy service is the one thing Starbuck’s gets consistently right.

6 Likes

I’ve been blatantly ignored at Starbucks several times - after paying for my drink, they never made it (the young 20s male baristas got distracted with an attractive female patron who was chatting with them), another time I paid for a pastry that they didn’t have and they never offered a refund.

I now avoid Starbucks. Lousy service isn’t always because you’re a cop, it can also be when the staff just doesn’t give a toss.

6 Likes

I was disappointed to read in a related article that Starbucks apologized for this. I can imagine large swaths of the population (myself included) who would not be comfortable if a crowd of 6 (probably) white (most likely dude-bro type) males with guns, in uniforms that expressed a notorious “us vs. them” mentality we’re hovering around. And the employee asked them to move or leave, not just leave. I think it was brave of the employee.

10 Likes

I imagine it’s a combination of real information with a bad guess. I bet if you tried to use a common racial slur as your name the software would disallow it, but it’s probably a list of specific terms that are banned and that list just doesn’t include “pig” (because the people making it were not thinking of slurs for police).

5 Likes

Sees cop walk in

4d16a702b639d272bb82e755cb211d3e82c9a18cb3f9cfa55a395bc297ffeb0b

17 Likes

“why would I make you uncomfortable?”

“Because your kind regularly shoots people who aren’t a danger to the public and suffer no repurcussions”

13 Likes

Did they at least lick their boots as befitting for a citi… peasant in the Fiefdom of the Free?

Maybe if the pigs stopped acting like they are the enemies of civil society, people would stop treating them as such.

6 Likes