How to behave in an elevator

and god forbid if your hand lightly brushes the delicate derriere of an attractive coworker, all hell breaks loose.

I’m sorry, but I’m not going to wait around for another elevator just to ease an irrational fear. If this lone woman wants to get off and wait for the next elevator that’s her business, but I’m taking the first elevator that has space.

3 Likes

I knew that I was doing it correctly!

2 Likes

I work on the 12th floor. I frequently turn my back to the elevator door and engage in conversation with people. It freaks them out that I’m standing the “wrong way”. It’s up there with talking at urinals.

7 Likes

One of my favorite things in the world. Watching people work past the discomfort is awesome.

3 Likes

But where are the tips for chatting up chicks in an elevator? Don’t leave us hanging here!

2 Likes

Yup. That’s definitely a JAV. They like to bring R34 into the real world when most are happy to look at drawings and paintings and animation.

You piss-talkers just want to see people like me suffer.

Can’t you all just shut up so I can pee? I can’t hold it forever.

In college I had a lot of friends there on the GI bill, and they were such freaking Chatty Cathys at the urinal. They all seemed to be universally comfortable discussing last night’s game or whoever they’re sexing with or what they’re looking forward to for lunch.

4 Likes

Sounds a bit like sensitivity overkill to me. Depending on the level of elevator traffic, a fella could stand there a while, and meanwhile the women encouraged to ride alone might think there’s some weird reason (other than… what, gallantry?) why guys won’t ride the damn elevator with them.

I habitually just make myself as blandly pleasant and nonthreatening as possible and hop on if there’s room for me, content in the knowledge that whoever shares a ride with me is going to end up having a safe and uneventful elevator trip, even if only because my presence will discourage any other miscreant present from causing trouble.

We’re already culturally somewhat weirded out by our segregated restrooms. I don’t think segregating our elevators is a step forward.

15 Likes

Chatting at the urinal doesn’t bother me. (I never initiate it, but if somebody there wants to start, I’m not gonna prolong the awkwardness by being weirded out.)

But I kinda can’t imagine gabbing with someone sitting on the next terlet. I’ve mentioned before hereabouts the time I visited Washington Square Park in NYC on a crowded summer Saturday afternoon, and had occasion to visit the Gents’ room. I was astonished to find that there were no stalls surrounding the toilets. There were half a dozen men in there, crapping next to each other in relative peace and harmony, apparently because they’re totally used to it.

Man, I think I’d sooner shit my pants.

8 Likes

Is that what you told HR?

13 Likes

Here’s how to police personal space in an elevator:

7 Likes

Also,

7 Likes

It’s not that I’m “weirded out” so much as it completely clamps up if I know there’s someone else present. Pee shy, you know? So, it takes some effort if there’s just another person in the bathroom. If they try to talk to me, no matter what I do, the piss isn’t happening.

I blame having assholes for friends in middle school. One second you think you’re having a nice piss at the urinal, the next you’re being grabbed by the shoulders while getting kneed in the ass while four other guys are yelling earthquake and you’re pissing all over yourself.

7 Likes

I just noticed one other thing on that video – after she kick the guy in the head and he slumps down, she defaults – briefly (at 0:36-0:37) – to facing the elevator door again before she decides to face him. That is deeply cooked into the culture.

4 Likes

She could have kept working him over. Gut kicks are free for that kind of asshole.

2 Likes

Ok, so what’s the final verdict? Am I, or am I not, supposed to talk to someone if they’re peeing in an elevator?

20 Likes

Are they facing you?

20 Likes

Yes, but it’s a woman and there are no other riders.

10 Likes

The elevator fight looks fake to me. But I did enjoy it more that way :slight_smile:

1 Like