How to catch a subterranean catfish using mentos, eggs, and Coca-cola

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/25/how-to-catch-a-subterranean-ca.html

Mentos. The Fishmaker.

12 Likes

giphy

4 Likes

Not witchcraft. Fishcraft.

7 Likes

Not a sciencesmith, but assume it works because it fills the liquid with CO2, and the fish swim to the surface for air because they are suffocating.

5 Likes

I understand the CO2 aspect (pretty obvious), but I don’t get what the egg is for.

2 Likes

11 Likes

First you have to dig a hole on your perfect manicured lawn for the catfish. Then load the hole with catfish. Then put anything nasty in the hole and the catfish will jump out.

12 Likes

I tried playing Fishcraft but got sick of punching all that coral.

3 Likes

It’s almost like the second catfish just straight up jumped out of that hole!

Oh, and comments and stuff.

1 Like

You can beat Fishcraft without punching a single thing, but you have to use a steering wheel, and also not have a life.

2 Likes

The miracle of the Mentos and Fishes.

1 Like

How much rinsing is necessary to remove the taste of egg, Mentos, and Coke from the catfish – I am assuming someone’s planning to eat the fish here ?

Catfish, as a ground-water type, wouldn’t be effective against dragons.

Oh noooooo. :frowning:

@generic_name Perhaps bait? Though the link hanni5 posted makes it more likely that it’s mostly BS.

1 Like

To get the flour for the batter to stick, silly!

3 Likes

Dude… That ain’t nothing… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8lryibcs2Y

1 Like

Take it up a notch. (Not very legal in many places.)

eta: And for some people, obtaining real dynamite is a first world problem.

1 Like

Yeah, also called noodling, and it’s become a pretty familiar thing on the Interwebs by now. But what I still wonder is, don’t catfish have barbs, that also deliver a poison, kinda like bees do? Or is that a myth, or true of only some catfish? If they do have them, do grabblers and noodles ever get poked?

3 Likes

The spikes on catfish are typically located on the ends of the pectoral fins and the dorsal fin. So they are pretty far from the action when noodling.

That said, you don’t want to hug the side or the back of a big catfish!

3 Likes