WAIT FOR IT: Surprising new 'Coke and Mentos' video

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/14/wait-for-it-surprising-new.html

8 Likes

Obviously, the Coke and Mentos alters the DNA of the chicken egg to produce a rapidly-growing fish instead.

38 Likes

Twins then?

11 Likes

I was really hoping for triplets.

4 Likes

I’d say I wasn’t expecting that, but neither hemisphere of my brain is in agreement with what “that” was.

24 Likes

Some kind of burrowing Catfish? I’m guessing the guy is spiking the CO2 in the water to make the fish come out for a gulp of air and then grabbing and tossing it in the bucket for dinner.

13 Likes

If you look at the Wikipedia page for those eruptions, it talks about how it basically creates a carbon dioxide explosion. I don’t have any explanation for why these fish are leaping out of the ground, but I think it’s a good guess that they’re doing so because all of a sudden there’s no oxygen in the water.

17 Likes

Those are interdimensional catfish.

16 Likes

Obviously deep fake gophers

20 Likes

I looked it up too, and came up with “catfish hole”, but can’t find a description of what a catfish hole is, exactly. I guess maybe one of those things that’s so common in the areas it’s found that people think it doesn’t need an explanation.

2 Likes

Some kind of catfish? And aren’t you supposed to add the egg batter after cleaning the fish?

11 Likes

“Quick, Waston, the XKCD!”

7 Likes

But then there’s the egg. WHY THE EGG??

13 Likes

Presumably - but the egg? (Only thing I can think of is that it forms some sort of seal that keeps the CO2 from simply rising up.

In the US, I know catfish can be found in burrows dug into the bottoms of waterways, because they lay eggs there (and then the male sits in the hole and guards them), and also to avoid heat. But in some parts of the world, catfish make burrows in places where the water level changes, so they’ve got a wet spot to survive in when things dry out, waiting until there’s water again. But this looks like a hole in a lawn. So I’m assuming either it was covered with water at some point, or the burrow is somehow connected to some other waterway.

6 Likes

Mentos noodling?

Apparently mentos+toothpaste is a thing too. I have no idea.

14 Likes

I saw a whole other video in this same genre yesterday but it was coke+mentos+eels. I feel like if you have a water-breathing beastie living in a hole full of groundwater, the trick might work just by filling their hole with Coke, no eggs or mentos needed?

(Not gonna post link bc it’s FB and do not want people spamming me to delete fucking facebook. Not my preferred wank at this point in time.)

5 Likes

Maybe the egg was trying to gum up their gills? Or maybe it’s bait? I’m just spitballing here.

2 Likes

Likely. Many catfish (really many families of fish) can breathe air and live out of water for a period of time.

1 Like

obligatory:

8 Likes

Normally when I see a video entitled “WTF did I just watch”, I think damn, that wasn’t very helpful.
But after watching, I could not think of a better title.

8 Likes