How to clear out an anthill with gasoline

A tube with that area is no surprise for folks who have disassembled a carburetor.

6 Likes

Caddyshack Ending

12 Likes

“We had to destroy the lawn to save it.”

8 Likes

He was trying to kill some cockroaches…

His neighbors were terrified. According to firefighters, the excess of insecticide, gases accumulated in a cesspool and a little of gasoline caused an explosion so violent that it destroyed the lawn and caused damage to the house’s sewer system.

12 Likes

I kinda want to go try this, and it will be a good use of the 10 feet of cannon fuse that someone gave me a few years ago.

1 Like

For sure, but this one is always worth a re-watch. :slight_smile: As someone else noted, the comedic timing is impeccable.

5 Likes

When I was a kid, my dad did this with the weber charcoal grill. He had run out of lighter fluid…

Came home to find a firetruck in front of the house, big scorch marks in the gravel driveway, and my very sheepish dad being bandaged from elbow to knuckles for (mostly) first degree burns. Thankfully that was the extent of the damage!

3 Likes

That reminds me of the year my dad set off a whole bag of fireworks by accident.

Baby Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

5 Likes

This is going to depress the shit out of you, but…

I am friends with both of the un-burned brothers (still after all these years):

2 Likes

Dumbass almost killed his dogs :frowning:

A teacher I had years ago had a story about a neighbor doing this with a gopher hole - and only found out it went all the way to his house when he lit it, the subsequent explosion breaking the windows on his house. I was never quite sure how true the tale was but this video shows it was completely plausible.

1 Like

I like to imagine that at the very end, when he turns around the corner, that he shouts to his wife: “it worked!” …

3 Likes

I once went to a firework display somewhere in the middle of no-where in Iceland. A large amount of alcohol was consumed. Fireworks were, of course, launched by hand. But the highlight was the guys throwing open buckets of gasoline on the bonfire. That was impressive, in a how-did-nobody-die kind of way, watching the flame creep a little closer to the bucket each time.

3 Likes

We used to live in a very rural town where it was common to burn your trash in 55 gallon drums. This is pretty awesome for kids. I learned a lot about fire and melting points of plastics and metals. Gas was sometimes used as an accelerant (sometimes even out of necessity). A spoonful or small cup of gas could make a nice fireball. My childhood was … entertaining.

So one day I decided to experiment further by making a small furnace. Over an ant den. A twofer. A little one in a pit dug in the ground. The wood wasn’t burning well, so I decided to have fun and toss a small cup of gas in. It put the fire out! Somehow that was scarier. The pit was now filled with a smoky vapor. In yet another genius move, I decided to throw lit matches at the vapor. No fireball. Just fire.

Both times were accidental examples of bad stochimetric mixtures. Gas needs adequate air to burn well. And a confined space to explode. Which can also happen accidentally when burning trash.

My buddy was a witness to this, and I saw the remains later. A family with a baby had a barrel full of dirty diapers out in the alley. So dad pours gas on them and lights them. Boom! Flaming diapers are shot vertically and in every direction. Dude didn’t bother to clean them up and, unfortunate for me, that alley was part of my walk to school.

4 Likes

This seems to be a good technique to till your yard. Break up the dirt clods and you’re ready for seeding!

I do feel sorry for the pooches, though.

And I agree with someone else that mentioned the woeful safety attire… flip-flops?

Ah yes, those tiny orifices do love to clog.

Sounds like a banger of a good time

1 Like

Those poor dogs

1 Like

Those poor, poor ants.

1 Like

I agree but at least death is quick and painless, insecticide would be worse for the environment. Pouring a pot of boiling water down the anthill is another option

1 Like

He’s missing a Colin Furze safety tie that would make him invulnerable to the consequences of stupid :thinking:

And he does have glasses, but they are expertly hung on the placket of his polo shirt rather than worn where they might protect his eyes.

1 Like