How to cut an avocado without hurting yourself

Put the avocado down on the table. The inertia of the fruit will hold it in place as you whack it, and you can’t hit your hand if you miss. The way this video does it is exactly the way to cut yourself.

3 Likes

Even Meryl Streep has slipped while cutting a slippery avocado.

I’d say that giving some tips on how to cut one up with minimal risk is worthwhile.

6 Likes

Because according to emergency room records people are cutting themselves really badly when improperly doing it. that’s why we need instructions. We just need better instructions than this, this is a dangerous way to do it.

8 Likes

Yikes! That was terrifying to watch. It was like a toddler giving traffic safety tips.

12 Likes

I have cut myself a few times using a kitchen knife carelessly, but I have never felt in danger of doing so when opening an avocado. It’s such a straightforward, even enjoyable process.

4 Likes

“Think of an avocado like a banana,” says Chris Notap

No he doesn’t?

2 Likes

Re: Cutting one self, I once cut myself slicing a sweet pickle for my grilled cheese. It wasn’t that bad but when I sat down to eat, I ended up passing out.

I woke right back up but freaked out everything was blurry. But it was just grease on my glasses.

6 Likes

Likewise. Basically never cut toward yourself or your hand, if you choose to do so assume that you will cut yourself at some point. It’s best to set the fruit down and cut into it ,

2 Likes

a dash of salt, a splash or lime or lemon juice… yum.

6 Likes

My crowning achievement in kitchen injuries was drying the blade of a really sharp knife by wrapping it in a towel, gripping the towel tight and the dragging the knife through with force. A real brainfart moment.

8 Likes

HOLD THE AVOCADO WITH A CLOTH OR TOWEL WHEN YOU WHACK THE PIT.

Also, use a sharp heavy knife, not the serrated one. That knife is about ten times more likely to slip and injure you.

4 Likes

dear god, that’s a horrific knife injury and it is giving me so much anxiety just thinking about it.

I dry knives in a towel like that, but I always always face the blade outwards.

I’ve also seen people place a knife on a towel on the counter, fold the towel over, and pull.

4 Likes

I cut the living hell out of my finger nail a month ago when using a mandolin slicer. My nail is almost back to normal, but at the time i was cutting up some egg plant and it was getting close to the blade as i was cutting it down so i stopped and went to go get the plastic holder thing so you don’t cut your hand. I went to go grab the eggplant off the mandolin, and i thought to myself that i might cut myself if i’m not careful so i very slowly and carefully picked up the egg plant… and pushed my finger into the blade. I don’t even know how i did that because i was trying to be extra careful :frowning: I immediately bought myself cut resistant gloves that day.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s how I normally do it. Like I said, brainfart moment. Luckily, it didn’t cut too deep as most of the force wasn’t directed towards the palm. I actually got anxious recounting this incident as well.

2 Likes

I hate that stuff like that can happen. I like to think I am a rather methodical person, but it seems one really shouldn’t perform dangerous actions when tired or distracted.

4 Likes

Wish I had seen this before I lost my fingers in a horrible guacamole accident.

4 Likes

This is also true of you’re going to grid the flesh. Don’t do it in your hand (or if you insist, use a towel to hold the avocado.

How to cut an avocado, chop off your fingertip, but write a really nice song about it.

2 Likes

I still do the “whack the knife into the pit” bit, but you’re absolutely right.

2 Likes

I would feel confident in cutting around the pit while holding the avocado in my hand, mainly because you want the knife to be having contact with the pit the whole time. If you do that then there’s no way the knife can slip and cut you unless you’re angling the knife toward the tip. Still, the best advice is just never cut toward yourself and take every precaution if you are because you will definitely cut yourself.