How to design a chair that can survive an 8-story fall

That is very reasonable, thank you. Someday I need to take a tour of a battleship.

We had God knows how many of these at NASA when I was there in the late '70’s. They were The Chair You Could Always Find when you were on base. I can remember sitting in one of these in the basement of Building 3/14, next door to the 360/65, working on the 9600 baud TSO terminal, writing FORTRAN and assembler.

Most of them still there in 2004 when I left.

5 Likes

Yep. I’m pondering trying to rebuild a no-name pair of telecomm snips (needs sharpening and a new screw as the old one was stripped when it was installed and broken when I tried to remove it) as opposed to buying an actual Klein 2100-7 to replace it.

1 Like

There’s a lot to unpack in that sentence

2 Likes

The aluminum has a thin coating on it, probably some type of lacquer, that keeps it from oxidizing.

1 Like

I only read the headline … so let me get this right, we’re trying to make a chair that can survive an autumn that lasts as long as it takes to tell eight stories?

2 Likes

And bonus, you wouldn’t have needed to carry them down the three flights of stairs.

5 Likes

…threw it out of the window. It bounced, but didn’t bend or break.

The Petty Officer sitting in the chair did less well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.