How to explain graphic design to four-year-olds

[Read the post]

1 Like

“Imagine drawing pictures you hate for people who think you’re stupid.”

15 Likes

“And being paid only reluctantly because it’s not like it’s real work.”

I could go on.

6 Likes

“and having other random people use the same software you do thinking they can do your job because ‘…it’s just done with computers.’ – completely discounting years of schooling and experience.”

5 Likes

That business about finding out what design was by explaining it to four-year-olds - I do that to figure out what’s wrong with a computer program now and then. Explaining the thing to someone else who doesn’t have the background, makes one think about the background.

3 Likes

We then did a yes/no shouting-out exercise, about things that have been designed, and things that havent. My list:

– a puddle (“noooooo!”)
– a book (“yessssss!”)
– a squirrel (“noooooo!”)
– a car (“yessssss!”)
…and so on.

The squirrel one - them’s fightin’ words in parts of the U.S.

That’s all, sorry for being o/t

4 Likes

I was just going to comment on the same thing. Y’all beat me to it :slight_smile:

I love the irony of explaining design on Medium, a website that spits in the face of readability with its anti-PC layout.

[quote=“pesco, post:1, topic:62257”]I talked about how signs tell us important things, and the words need to be easy to read. I showed them a simple sign, and asked them what I could do to the letters, to make the sign better.[/quote]“Make the red more green!”
“Give the circle straight sides!”
“I think it needs to pop!”

7 Likes

“i don’t like the font”
“make it memorable, like the Nike logo”
“can you zazz it up?”

3 Likes

Great, so now they can eloquently defend their refusal to color within the lines.

3 Likes

It doesn’t really say “Stop” to me, can you make it louder?

2 Likes

i love this so much i want to cry.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.