How to fold the unicorn from Blade Runner

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/01/how-to-fold-the-unicorn-from-blade-runner.html

2 Likes

while folding, listen to this

2 Likes

I guess I must be a purist too. I didn’t even know you could cut and glue and still call it origami. I didn’t see Gaff doing and cutting and gluing in the movie. Maybe they cut that part of the scene…

'course Olmos was just handed a little paper unicorn made by props before they rolled.

5 Likes

Flashback to the 70s when 12-year-old me ran into a guy at our small town library who was an origami nerd. We would meet there to fold and eventually held a class, but I forget which of us taught it.

He gave me a handful of origami books from his own collection before he moved elsewhere, and I still treasure them. Pure gold.

7 Likes

CHEATING :anguished:

6 Likes

I went looking for a different set of instructions, to see if maybe there was a version that didn’t involve gluing.

I found what appears to be the original source:

3 Likes

I prefer single paper designs the most. Mulipaper designs don’t always require glue, but some stay together better. There are giant ones like dragons that requires lots of paper put together. Same with cuts. I have a book on how to make lots of bugs this way.

I don’t like them. I like old school, single paper, no clue. I resist cuts, but will make exceptions.

I need to save and print these out to try later.

3 Likes

Misread headline. Now disappointed.

2 Likes

To all those objecting to the use of glue:
If you don’t cut off the piece in step 18 (or don’t cut as much off), you can mate it to the corresponding piece on the hind legs to join the halves gluelessly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.