How to get past a buzzer door lock in a well-occupied building

Everybody who’s seen this Richard Gere movie already knows the trick.

They would absolutely be sued, but the department would win. The courts have long held that the police have no actual obligation to protect you. The most famous case is Warren v. DC which brought us this gem “the duty to provide public services is owed to the public at large, and, absent a special relationship between the police and an individual, no specific legal duty exists”

4 Likes

My building’s buzzer activates an app on my phone. I can see the caller on video before I answer which is nice. The downside of the modern buzzer is it is often down for various software issues. Right now there is a bug such that I get photo of every guest entering the building. Normally I only see photos of my own guests. I contact the company to report the bug. They replied with an email asking me to prove it. I sent them 5 pages of photos of people I don’t know and did not buzz in. Their reply to that was a fix was in the works. Not sure why they had to waste my time making screen shots before they could tell me that.

2 Likes

And just in case more concrete evidence is needed, the cops who failed to even process the evidence from this guy, who was identified by witnesses and who submitted DNA samples that were never processed, who (with his wife) went on to rape and murder several more young women, these cops never faced any consequences for dereliction of duty:

So, no, nope. That’s not why the cops showed up at this Black guy’s apartment.

2 Likes

And Johns. And Felicias.

2 Likes

Literally any system with a human component can be foiled by a determined miscreant. And most non-human ones too.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.