"How to Get Syphilis," a psychedelic educational filmstrip from 1974

Oh, that’s pretty much as horrible as my one, and they were real.

On the other hand the educational filmstrip is pretty good. They picked a particular disease, so they don’t have to generalise, and they picked a nasty one. They tell us Mary Sue has syphilis. They don’t say how she got it, and they don’t accuse or blame. The boyfriend get it too, and is an equal part of the story. Even the disease is presented as something that is just doing what it does. Maybe Mister Rodgers could do it better, but I don’t think I could.

3 Likes

Nit pick: There were no skinny ties then, but I agree in general.

I was nine in 1974, so my film strip was about avoiding the “drug pusher”. This character only ever existed in filmstrip or TV form for me. Later, I was to find out that you got drugs from your friend’s older brother Brian, and didn’t need a pusher.

1 Like

The people who made this were still definitely wearing their skinny ties from 1963. They also still had the crewcuts to go with their horn-rimmed glasses.

2 Likes

Hmmmm. Makes me wonder if there is some kind of tie-width social climate correspondence? It’s someone’s doctoral thesis, I’m sure.

Crew cuts and horn rimmed glasses have never really gone out of style (I have these now)

1 Like

If there ever was a time they were out of style, it would have been 1974… But yeah.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.