How to lose one's mind

How? I’m there already, and enjoying the view.

3 Likes

Right? Inanity has given way to insanity.

Just because I think I left my mind in that suit I dropped off at that dry cleaners and can’t seem to remember which one…

meh, wasn’t using it much anyway.

2 Likes

I find Alan Alda annoying.

6 Likes

I think the show tried to have a somewhat similar tone to the movie at the start (with maybe its strongest anti war tone? and some dated cultural material, too). But then it got away from the movie’s satire and was more like a workplace comedy, going further and further after the Vietnam War ended. I think the Henry Blake character took the last bit of the satire with him when Maclean Stevenson left.

4 Likes

He had to leave to develop WALTER (trying to put the original asterisks in the title makes BB confused and angry)

1 Like
2 Likes

I do too, in many instances. But the clip above is some of the finest acting in television imho.

3 Likes

I’ll share your unsolicited feedback with him. :neutral_face:

5 Likes

I worked in post conflict Liberia. My worst moment was stomping around the compound, frustrated at something else and running across a rooster jumping on one of the chickens we kept. I screamed at the guards to keep that rooster out, and they were perplexed. I later apologized for the outburst, but it was a wake-up call that I wasn’t managing stress well…

5 Likes

I can’t recall ever seeing him pissed off!

We saw him once on a NYC-LA flight. Debarking the plane at LAX, we saw him standing with one of the pilots and a flight attendant just outside the cockpit. He just stood there with a huge smile on his face… smiling at everyone who walked by.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I don’t mind him, but I noticed in some reruns that his skirt-chasing character in that show hasn’t aged all that well. (And yeah yeah, I know, the women weren’t in skirts – you know what I mean.)

7 Likes

This reminds me that the Scientific American shows he used to do on PBS were really good; he always seemed genuinely interested and informed.

5 Likes

Give him a chance in Crimes and Misdemeanors. You’d think that he’d never been compared to Mussolini before.
(For the love of God don’t see Sweet Liberty, where he is maximally annoying.)

2 Likes

I enjoyed all that old Woody Allen stuff but it’s been years.
I don’t know if I could watch it now… maybe?

Alda directing Alda… yeah, I think I’ll skip that one.

My dad wrote him a letter, and he sent back a handwritten one also. I sure hope for my dad’s sake it was the real deal.

5 Likes

I would recommend to anyone who hasn’t ever watched it, the film Shock Corridor (1963), written, directed, and produced by Sam Fuller. Great social commentary from the early 60’s that’s message is incredibly prescient and still relevant today.

5 Likes

I loved MAS*H when I was a kid.

I think watching good-old “lecherous” Hawkeye now might make me cringe.

2 Likes

A couple of things:

1. Despite being all over basic cable (in remastered form), it appears the finale does not appear to be part of the syndication packages

2. Years later I found Winchester’s plotline of “capturing” the Chinese band and their demise packed far more emotional punch, due to its relation with the series past. Appreciation of music was always a big part of Winchester’s character. Now it becomes associated with war and loss.

3. Hawkeye had a nasty habit of being smug and self-righteous. This was a bit of a comeuppance.

1 Like

Great film! Huge, huge, fan of Sam Fuller

Also recommended, and happened to be set in and made during the Korean War

Fuller had sheer balls in 1951 to reference segregation and Japanese internment. Plus the hard bitten cynical view of the military/war in general was unusual for the time.

3 Likes