How to make a "Popcorn Kernel Jar Diversion Safe"

Originally published at: How to make a "Popcorn Kernel Jar Diversion Safe" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“There’s always money in the popcorn jar.”

14 Likes

There’s a jar of mayo in the fridge that I use for this purpose. I painted the inside of the jar, but it took a while to get the paint color right. I thought mayo was white. Nope.

11 Likes

Now I’m intrigued. I did some googling and found

Pantone: P 8-9 U and FAF6E6

Credit:
@LeMeHajri

11 Likes

Jar Diversion’s Unknown Pleasures is an all time favorite.
There I said it. Ill see myself out.

14 Likes

My “Diversion Safe” is an actual Safe. It is not large and can easily be picked up by one person as it is not bolted down. It is easily visible at the entrance to my “office” room in my home. My hope is that anyone who breaks in will see it, grab it and not have any room for anything else.

I don’t care if anyone steals it as it is an Empty Diversion Safe.

Any cash I have goes into a small empty product box that sits on a shelf next to my desk with several other product boxes that just have stuff in them. I also leave about $20 worth of singles “hidden” in the top drawer of my desk.

Several years ago we had a grandson live with us who was a burglar, thief, liar and drug addict. I knew he was going to go through everything if I was not home, so I just planted some money in the desk drawer so he could “find” something. I “hid” a bottle of prescription meds in the bathroom and he would quietly remove half of them. But I had put aspirin in the bottle instead.

That’s when I got the cheap safe. I would unlock it and open/close the door so he could hear that I “used” it. But I never put anything into it because I just assumed one day it would go “missing”.

9 Likes

Put a piece of dank carpet in it for authenticity.

11 Likes

Screen Shot 123

7 Likes

Or a cat. Or not a cat.

3 Likes

Attosa’s a rad, extremely talented person I’ve been happy to know for over 25 years… so fun to see her get BoingBoinged for her cool stuff during my morning reads!

3 Likes

The next time someone wants to make a BLT they are going to be pissed.

3 Likes

…or be pleased that now they can afford to go buy a BLT. :grimacing:

6 Likes

Well, well - thanks yous Mark, I wills remembers this the nexts times I am outs and abouts with my black turtleneck, tiny little black bandit mask, and burlap sack with a giant “$” printed on its the side. Nyuck nyuck nyuck

Psst! Da void is “Mayonnaise

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.