The best place to hide a small safe in your home

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/03/the-best-place-to-hide-a-small-safe-in-your-home.html

7 Likes

What if he has a $5 wrench?

23 Likes

Well the cat’s outta the bag now! Time to find some new hiding places…

10 Likes

Reminds me of this classic:

(Although probably better not keep a gun in a shoebox.)

24 Likes

Anecdotally, safes hidden in the back of a closet can remain undetected for years.

28 Likes

My favorite advice from the comments: “To make it extra safe, buy two safes and use one of them as a decoy safe. Put the decoy in an obvious spot and put heavy stones inside to make it hard for the thief so he’s less likely to come looking for more.”

For years, we just leave an old laptop out in the open and a jar of cash on the counter.

A typical thief wants a quick score unless they know the safe behind the Monet is full of jewels.

We have a safe, a thief could find it given a lot of time but it would be the last place they would think to look.

The bigger problem is will our daughter remember where it is and the combination when we finally kick. I remind her once or twice a year.

The road map to our trust and the life insurance policy is in there. Or is it?

I hope I can see her trying to remember from the other side.

16 Likes

Or… leave the old busted one somewhere in plain sight, and hide the new one in a better place. In our case, the old one is in the bedroom closet, and the new one is… well never mind about that.

5 Likes

Careful, or this video may go the way of correct horse staple battery

10 Likes

When did ‘burglarize’ replace ‘burgle’?

4 Likes

I solved this conundrum by living inside a fully updated, mid-century modern bank vault.

23 Likes

“Of course, if this video gets popular, then burglars will start to look there too.”

Well, it is a four year old video…

I just rely on the 10-minute dungeon search turn. If my PCs (or players) couldn’t find something in 10 minutes, it’s probably hidden well enough.

5 Likes

It’s somewhere in here… I think.

31 Likes

(Takes the Monet, ignores the safe.)

10 Likes

In the 19th century.

11 Likes

And sometime after or before 2942 in the Third Age of Middle Earth:

Thorin, to Bilbo:“You’re the burgular.Go on and…burgle something!”

8 Likes

No, it has to be in @beschizza’s closet.

4 Likes

Mine’s under the bed. But it is more of a deterrent than a hardened safe.

3 Likes

Hide it behind a bigger safe, filled with gold bars. The thieves will be so distracted by all the gold, they probably will overlook the small safe behind.

8 Likes

Hide it beneath a pile of Hostess fruit pies. If comics have taught me anything, it’s that by the time they find the safe, they’ll have lost all interest in a life of crime.

5 Likes

I refuse to acknowledge Webster as a reliable source of information…

3 Likes