The best place to hide a small safe in your home

You’re telling me you wouldn’t trust this face?

10 Likes

Not if he doesn’t know how to spell “colour” correctly!

4 Likes

Is it a wall safe that’s cleverly hidden behind a painting of a piggy bank?
Aardman Photo_ Wallace & Gromit The Wrong Trousers

12 Likes

A past dungeon master had an in-house rule that sprinkling nutmeg in the shoes of a lich would either incapacitate or slay them.

A large part of the adventure to get to the big bad involved finding his various crypts, all filled from top to bottom with various footwear. Any time we asked if this was the final shoe vault, he would just smile.

5 Likes

Of course not; that’s where you keep the confidential documents that you were supposed to hand over to the National Archive.

Edit: added “n”

7 Likes

I’d say if you really want to go all James Bond, buy a circuit breaker box, install it somewhere logical but not connected to the wiring. You mount it so it can be removed with a hidden latch, you even mark the circuits “upstairs bathroom” etc. so it looks legit, and put your safe in the wall behind that.

12 Likes
10 Likes

The original common law definition of burglary is interesting and probably not what most people think it is (sorry, I’m studying for the bar and relearning completely useless legal bullshit). Burglary was originally breaking and entering of a residence at night with the intent to commit a felony. So, if someone left their front door wide open…no burglary because there was no breaking. If you broke into someone’s house in broad daylight with the intent to commit a felony, no burglary because it wasn’t at night. And if you broke into a business with the intent to commit a felony, even if it was at night, no burglary because it wasn’t a residence. All that is no longer true, but that’s what burglary originally was, in the eyes of the law. You also, even today, don’t have to intend to steal anything for it to be burglary. Any felony will do.

14 Likes

I think of this opening, and this:

whenever passwords are onerous or are being problematic.

4 Likes

Let me guess… under the moldering carpet?

3 Likes

A friend on 3 acres in Texas refers to her decorating style as “ABL.” Already Been Looted. Ain’t nobody findin’ good stuff to take at her place.

I love visiting her there, because she’s gotten pretty good at knife-throwing and it’s way more fun than playing horseshoes. She started in mid-November, 2016.

She’s got two sets, so two people can play. And a target on a 10" thick cross-section of live oak, hung from one massive eye-screw and a heavy-duty ratchet strap. Better than darts!

And waaaaaaaay harder to do well.

9 Likes

My cunning plan to have nothing of value saves me the expense of a safe.

17 Likes

Not even a nice turnip?

6 Likes

6 Likes

Which is why, nowadays, I only break and enter with the intent of committing parking violations!

16 Likes

That’s twice you’ve made me laugh out loud in this thread, and I’m a tough crowd!

6 Likes
7 Likes

Leave a letter with your lawyer who did the will.

6 Likes

Sure, sure, but what fun is that?

I joke but there is a letter and a very trusted relative to help her out. The safe thing is funny. We’ll see her tomorrow, I’m going to ask if she remembers the combination and location.

7 Likes

Ah, all good.

And really, she possibly just needs to know where the safe is. I’ve read an interview with a safecracker whose most common jobs are estates: they found the safe, but nobody has the combination. To a professional, this is two or three hours of work. Maybe less. It was an interesting read: his description of what safes are for made it all click - they are only meant to slow thieves down, not stop them.

He was also asked whether he ever peeked at the contents. “No, I have no interest that would justify the risk of compromising my career like that.”

8 Likes