9 Likes

“Whereas once I saw, now I am blind.”

Very cool, and no way would I use it.

10 Likes

Odin voice :“Who are you? The god of cataracts?”

13 Likes

“My eyeth are getting tho Thor.”

13 Likes

So, never do this. The potential harm to your seeing bits far outweighs the benefit of looking cool at a con. This and people that casually play with high-power lasers. Just…no, no, no. Be safe out there, folks.

9 Likes

I saw a demonstration of a much safer glowing eye effect that could be used on an Iron Man helmet or Batman cowl. It used a white LED light source to illuminate an otherwise transparent panel, and behind the panel was an LCD panel that could turn opaque or clear. A controller flickered the light source and LCD panel in sync at a high rate of speed, so that the LCD panel blocked the light on the back side whenever the light was on. The result was that he wearer would not get any light in their eyes and could look out through what appeared to be clear glass, but anyone looking at their eyes would only see opaque white light. Simple and effective. The demo was from a couple years ago so I was kinda surprised that the tech didn’t make it into any Halloween costumes this year.

12 Likes

Follow up cosplay:

12 Likes

A biochemist writes -

Please don’t shine UV-A into your eyes, even if it’s going to be attenuated by contacts. Really, don’t do this.

Also, it’s great for increasing your chance of getting all sort of interesting skin cancers.

5 Likes

Just to beat this theme to death, here’s the table on safe exposure limits to UV light:

[note: I’m pretty sure the author got the first two effective irradiance columns switched. And had some trouble with the math.]

Safe exposure to the UV LEDs this guy is using is seconds, not minutes or hours.

7 Likes

Jeeze…the guy lives in NZ, UV light there is bad enough being close to pole and thin ozone layer.

1 Like

Couldn’t you get a similar effect with, yknow, violet lights? Or even white lights and purple cellophane?

1 Like

You’re Thor? I can hardly walk thraight!

I’ll see myself out…

1 Like

Came here to say this. For the love of dawg DO NOT DO THIS! Or some fluorescent eye make up. Or…
Anything but blinding yourself for no damn good reason. Sheesh!

2 Likes

Really cool but not safe.

1 Like

I think some of you exaggerate the dangers of this far too much, really. I mean, its “just” blacklight; UV-A with 350-380 nm and little energy, which is far above the really harmfull 100-280 nm. what about blacklight-shows? are the dancers all gonna go blind after a few shows?!? what about nightclubs? concerts?

and what says wikipedia in the case about UV-LEDs?

Ultraviolet light can be generated by some light-emitting diodes, but wavelengths below 380 nm are uncommon and the emission peaks are broad, so only the very lowest energy UV photons are emitted, within predominantly visible light.

seriously.

2 Likes

Apple should make one: The iThor.

I work in the UV LED industry. Everything you just wrote is completely wrong regarding UV LEDs. The light is dangerous to eyes and skin. “Black Lights” are very low power, but UV LEDs have 10^6 times or more the radiant energy concentrated in a narrow band in one LED. Because the driver of the industry is more and more power per LED, low-power UVA LEDs just aren’t even commercially available anymore, so this guy probably has multiple 1 W 395 nm LEDs on his rig.

Industrial UV LED lamps for printing and adhesive curing are several times more intense than UV light from the sun. So you know how you are warned not to look at an eclipse? Try 5 to 8 times that much dangerous light.

What is insidious about it is, it won’t blind you right away. It won’t blind you tomorrow. But that 4 hours of running it at WizardCon in August? By December, you notice some dull spots in your vision, by March you have some full-on blind spots and you have macular degeneration by June. All for 4 hours of cosplay.

5 Likes

“Dude, I got laid. Totally worth it!”

1 Like